No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried out 19 wheels? Seriously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well since rubber weighs less then aluminum. big wheels aren't for performance. they are for looks.

i'd get a nice set of wheels for the look of the car. and then use my stockers for racing with small tires.

Comment

yeah, light weight 16's rims

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

i`ll slap you if you put some ghetto ass looking shit like that on your car.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
        good thing....

Comment

autoworkZ wrote: i`ll slap you if you put some ghetto ass looking shit like that on your car.
          come on man, that shit be hawwwt. :lol:

na man, I was thinking about something along the lines of my current wheels, just bigger and deep dished. Hoop dreams really, you guys are going to take all of my $$$
          2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

I think 18 is too much on a z31 .. 17 is perfect. Bigger wheels looks like a jeep on lift kit :?
            Fairlady Z 1990 2+2 Twinturbo

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: And then, for example there is the Dodge SRT-4 which has a performance wheel option with 16" wheels, while stock is 17".

To me, it depends on the weight and type of use use the car sees as well as the tire selection, but I would wager to say the typical 17" wheel is going to outperform the typical 19" wheel with the same patch width and tire in most (but probably not all) conditions.
              The stock for the SRT-4 is 17" on the performance American Club Racer (ACR) package they introdued the tokico illumina struts all around and 6mm shorter springs, this combination took away some wheel clearance had they used the 17" wheel. the spring perch is larger on the tokico struts and one of the reasons why they used the 16" BBS wheels.
              Gone - 1988 Shiro
              2004 BMW 330Ci
              2005 BMW 330i
              1991 Twin Turbo Z's (Red and Black)
              http://www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

Comment

i have personally seen the hp (and yes hp numbers did change at the wheels) results from which come from trashing your stockers for some big wheel and brake combos. i was doing a job for a buddy and we were in this week long hell hole for dyno tunning a 240sx, anyways we gave up tunning one afternoon (415ish HP) and decided to go and do the brakes and wheels on her. we changed from stock to something like 17.5" discs in the front to 16" in the rear, we also went from 16" steel wheels to 19" alloys. then the next day we head back up on the dyno, do our first run and we think weve got a problem 390HP!! do to more runs just checking egt, ambiant, and all that crap. aparently we didnt take into consideration the amount of weight that has to be put into motion to get the massive amount of weight turning, and accelerating in second on a dyno, its apparently quite a bit.

but as far as bigger looks better vs. handles better... ive seen 2 almost identical cars run side by side all day long at gingerman, and the only major diff in the cars was in fact the wheel size and type

^first post it was a long one^
                85 N/A 300zx (vacuum cleaner)
                95 BMW 740i (daily driver)
                85.5 Porsche 944 e-spec (sold and missed)
                69 Impala 2dr coupe (ehh)
                89 Crown Vic (frame draggin' ole ladys ride)

Comment

operationcougar wrote: i have personally seen the hp (and yes hp numbers did change at the wheels) results from which come from trashing your stockers for some big wheel and brake combos. i was doing a job for a buddy and we were in this week long hell hole for dyno tunning a 240sx, anyways we gave up tunning one afternoon (415ish HP) and decided to go and do the brakes and wheels on her. we changed from stock to something like 17.5" discs in the front to 16" in the rear, we also went from 16" steel wheels to 19" alloys. then the next day we head back up on the dyno, do our first run and we think weve got a problem 390HP!! do to more runs just checking egt, ambiant, and all that crap. aparently we didnt take into consideration the amount of weight that has to be put into motion to get the massive amount of weight turning, and accelerating in second on a dyno, its apparently quite a bit.

but as far as bigger looks better vs. handles better... ive seen 2 almost identical cars run side by side all day long at gingerman, and the only major diff in the cars was in fact the wheel size and type

^first post it was a long one^
                  same here. we've seen power change with stockers vs. larger wheels.

also lighter brake rotors, we've seen increases, more on a dynojet then the load dynos but regardless we gained power going lighter on the brake discs.
                  Gone - 1988 Shiro
                  2004 BMW 330Ci
                  2005 BMW 330i
                  1991 Twin Turbo Z's (Red and Black)
                  http://www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

Comment

Sig. you kill me, my 18's are not small! LOL. Jason I chose 18's for the now common availability of good tires in the sizes I want. The price difference over 17's is negligible. My brakes won't fit inside some 17 in. wheels. And hey with 450+ whp, big wheels will not slow YOU down enough to matter.
                    F1 cars use 13" wheels, which implies this is an ideal balance of low MOI and allows adequately sized brake rotors (of carbon). So wheels bigger than the smallest possible are compromising performance, but small wheels are silly. Form follws function.

Comment

I hear some hating on 18s here.lol I don't think my 18s make my car look bad. Maybe a little HotWheels-like. Maybe.

I do run lightweight 17" Enkeis for racing though. I have to weigh my 18s vs. my 17s sometime. The 18s make me grunt as I lift them onto the hub each time I swap wheels. They are HUGELY heavier than my 17s. Maybe I will even do some dyno runs with each set to see the difference.

The 18s have no traction in 1st & 2nd gears & even get a little loose in 3rd at times. So they aren't slowing me down too much. It's the lack of grip from the AVS Sports that slow me down.

18s aren't bad. I got my 18s for looks & my 17s are for racing. I think my 18s are a perfect "stuffed" fit on my Z.

378whp 445wtq
                      http://mark86t.zmobiledetailing.com/.../v/Black+Hole/

Z Mobile Detailing, Las Vegas, NV

Comment

mark86t wrote: I hear some hating on 18s here.lol I don't think my 18s make my car look bad. Maybe a little HotWheels-like.

the only thing hot-wheels about your car is the HOT
                        part 8)
                        2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Maybe the thread should be now changed to "Wank over Mark86T's Z31"... But it is a sweet Zed theres no denying that... What is the wing you have on the back? It looks like you have an aero body kit or wider fenders than usual too... Am i seeing things?

Awesome Zed, especially in black like that, simple, but so effective.

Comment

kaminari wing, TBO lip...everything else is stock.

way too many people have posted that same question.

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

Comment

Working...
                            X