• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a failing gear feel like? T5

Whats a failing gear feel like?
    T5 tranny, stock clutch, pro 5.0 shifter:

I think i'm loosing 1st gear.

It just started on the ride home, about 2 blocks from my driveway.
    It goes in gear fine, but as i pull away hard, i feel/hear a rumble
    coming up thru the shifter. It does not do it in second.

Possible its only the pilot bushing? its been a while since i've had one fail.

Shiznot!!

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

What about the center bearing support for the driveshaft? Or does it just shake the shifter? I don't know....leave it to the pros

My buddy's bimmer needed the center bearing, u-joints, and cv-s. They all made a different kind of shake .

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

it could be the linkages but if it persists or gets worse you may need to tear it down or replace it. I know that sucks on a daily driver but...

Id give it a bit of time/testing to get a better feel before drawing any conclusions. Perhaps drain the fluid to see if you have any sediment/shavings?

Doesn't sound like a pilot bushing to me if its just 1st gear.
      Just stand back and throw money.
      Performance costs money.
      Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

yeah, i'll give it some time.
        I couldn't recreate it thie morning on the way into work.
        The pro 5.0 shifter does seem to transmit more
        rattling/grinding noises into the cabin than the stock shifter.

I'm going to drain the fluid this weekend and put some
        redline MT90 in there. i've got ATF and Lucas in there now.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

I put Motul 75w-90....the shiz

Comment

My B&M shifter also transmits more vibration than the stock unit but its not bad really. The JDM piece of junk I had was very bad and actually made an anoying rattle noise in 3rd and 5th but it was securly installed. Go figure.
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

My second T5 always made strange noises in first gear, but never had any issues on account of it. If it starts getting hard to shift or the noise gets super loud, then I would be slightly concerned. I also had a B&M shifter on it, and did notice very slightly more noise and vibration when I installed it (no NVH rubber in the shift lever like stock). All three of the 87-89T transmissions I have had so far have had 1st gear whine's (it's audible outside the car), but I have heard lots of them do it.

Comment

When i first got my car anytime i would shift into reverse the little rubber boot would slide off the shifter. I could hear everything.... a zip tie fixed that

Comment

Z_Karma wrote: Whats a failing gear feel like?
                  T5 tranny, stock clutch, pro 5.0 shifter:

I think i'm loosing 1st gear.

It just started on the ride home, about 2 blocks from my driveway.
                  It goes in gear fine, but as i pull away hard, i feel/hear a rumble
                  coming up thru the shifter. It does not do it in second.

Possible its only the pilot bushing? its been a while since i've had one fail.

Shiznot!!
                  It feels like "OUCH!". The shifter will need to be held into first gear position to engage...if it even engages. Usually grinding is a syncro(s). I have had a mustang t5 damn near break my wrist from this problem....and under load, the shifter will "POP", "slam", "Crunch" out of gear with lots of force. This first started with a broken tooth from a forced accidental grind...then took out the syncro...and grew to wrist breaking action.
                  I am here to help...

Comment

Working...
                  X