auto to 5 speed swap write up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto to 5 speed swap write up

since i`m doing one i thought i would do a nice write up on with pictures and all. I`m in the middle of it now so i`ll post more tomorrow.

1. Remove offending auto trans from car. Look it up in the Haynes manual, I`m not gonna hold your dick for you.
    2. Realize some cock loving shit bag stole the 5 speed trans that has been sitting outside the back of your shop for 2 weeks. Gather tools and go to the junkyard a pull another one. Cuss the last owner for using a 17mm nut on one of the driveshaft bolts and yourself for not bringing a 17mm wrench.
    3. ok, for a junkyard trans jack, and this works for going in and coming out. yes there are other ways, this is my way. I use a tie down strap, not one that ratchets but one of the cheepos that you just pull to tighten and push the little lever to release. put one hook around the egr tube, run it under the trans then up to something else. today i hooked it on the throttle cable bracket. tighten the strap against the trans. after all the bolts are out, pull it away from the engine, releasing the strap a little at a time. this helps with 2 people, but i have done it by myself. release the strap till the trans is close to the ground. you can use this for going back in also and works better than a floor jack actually.
    4. a list of what you will need to perform the swap

5 speed trans (duh)
    clutch set
    flywheel to match the selected clutch kit, the bolt for the flex plate are too short for the task of holding on a flywheel, find the correct bolts.
    clutch masta
    clutch slave
    hard line from masta to slave
    280zx front brake hose or similar
    drive shaft to go with your trans
    clutch pedal, comes out as an assembly
    brake pedal, need just the pedal, i`ll show you my trick for installing that later.
    shifter, boots, trim, etc
    the plates that sandwich between the trans and block, 2 of them

5. you have to remove the bushing from the back of the trans where the torque converter went into. it`s a cunt. one way is to weld a nut to it and use a slide hammer, or if you don`t have a slide hammer, use an impact on the welded nut, it will come off. there is also drilling opposing holes through the bushing. be carefull not to drill into the crank dumbass.

6. now is a good time to replace the rear main seal and the trans front and rear seals. go back to the haynes manual.

7. install the pilot bearing and throw out bearing. i use a wooden hammer handle and an install tool. see pic. don`t break it

8. now that that is done, install the big plate that goes inbetween the trans and block, this has to go on before the flywheel. now install the flywheel, using lock-tite on the bolts and torquing them correctly. now the clutch plate and pressure plate. the cltuch plate can be installed backwards, i`ll take a pic of the correct install direction, incase your plate doesn`t say "flywheel side" on it. torque bolts correctly, use the clutch alignment tool, and "lift" the tool slightly before you start to tighten the bolts, to help center the plate. I use lock-tite on all the clutch bolts, better safe than sorry.

9. now that the clutch is done, put the trans on, you can use 2 head bolts with the heads cut off as guides, just screw them into 2 bolt holes and slide the trans on. don`t fucking wiggle it too much, you can break the pilot bushing by being to aggresive. put the bolts in, tighten them down. i put the 2 upper bolts in the passenger side bracket loosely and put the 2 bolts for the starter through their holes to keep the bracket lined up, then tighten the 2 upper bolts. now you can install the starter. don`t forget the smaller plate between the engine and trans. put all the bolts in, or if you`re me, most of them. reinstall the driveshaft and all the other crap.
    />10. install the new or used slave cylinder on to the trans. install the 280zx brake hose to the slave cyl and to the hard line. run the hard line to the masta cyl location. beside the brake booster.

11. now comes the fun part! remove the brake pedal. the pedal for auto cars is too wide and will hit the clutch pedal. disconnect the push rod and take the 17mm bolt out.

12. if you look on the firewall, outboard of the brake booster, in the engine compartment, there is a little plate, similar in size and shape to a masta cyl. take the 2 nuts off and scrape the plate off.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

13. wire the brake pedal as shown, other wise you will be fighting with it, and it can be a bitch. install into bracket and install bolt.

14. install the clutch pedal assembly, the masta cyl will bolt to the 2 studs that go through the firewall. for the other 2 bolts go look through your bolt box, 2 10mm head bolts, straight up. install the push rod, pin and clip

15. Install the new/used masta cyl. thread the hard line into the masta cyl.

16. trans, clutch, pedals, masta. slave, shifter, all installed. pour in some fluid and bleed the clutch. if you`re using the clutch dampner, you`re an idiot, i never told you to put it on, follow directions!

17. now for the wiring. you will need to jumper the inhibit relay on the 84 or the car won`t start. see here (i havn`t taken the pic yet clown) the 5 speed only has back-up lights and neutral safety switch. and under the dash you will have the brake light switch, crusie control cancel switch on the brake and clutch pedal and clutch depressed switch for the neutral safety switch. i`ll finish this part later when i actually do it and refreash my memory.

18. op check. go do some burn outs, shift-locks, clutch kicks, stuff like that.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
    good thing....

Awesome, I can't wait.

Comment

I still have that 84t drivetrain if you need additional parts.

Comment

I'm glad you're doing a new writeup with pictures. But, what was so wrong with the old one? I didn't have any problems going by it...
        Originally posted by Andrew84zx
        tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
        545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

i guess i didn`t realize there was an old one.

good thing....

Comment

FlawleZ wrote: I'm glad you're doing a new writeup with pictures. But, what was so wrong with the old one? I didn't have any problems going by it...
            I can't even find the old one viic wrote years ago... do you have a link?

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
              Originally posted by FlawleZ
              I'm glad you're doing a new writeup with pictures. But, what was so wrong with the old one? I didn't have any problems going by it...
              I just sent you an e-mail with all the z31.com old archives. Maybe you can put those files on the forum.

The credit goes to ZKarma.

Comment

bwahaha, I'm SOOOO glad that you put the head-bolt trick in there. Shromy and I discovered that last year when we were putting the 30A into my car. makes the job SOOO much easier.

We had tried and tried and tried to get the thing in there. The weight didn't help any.. then we got it close, threaded in some headbolts, and he just grabbed the bellhousing with his hand, and it slid right in.
                vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

yeah, i`ll include all my little tricks as i go along

good thing....

Comment

Just finished my auto to manual conversion last month.
                    " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
                    LaterZ

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
                      Originally posted by FlawleZ
                      Looks like Mike already got it to you? Either way here's the link to the old writeup:

http://web.archive.org/web/200502260445 ... srf=faqyou

And Vic is who should be credited with it. Maybe it was ZKarma who wrote this?

http://z31.com/oboard/archives/view.pl?170
                      Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                      tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                      545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

ZKarma sent me a zip file of all the old z31.com archives that were taken down when Morgan transferred to the new server.

Comment

MikeZ wrote: ZKarma sent me a zip file of all the old z31.com archives that were taken down when Morgan transferred to the new server.
                          you should get Jason to host that file!
                          Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
                          I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
                          Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

I've been working on a nice write up on this.
                            Been collecting pics of parts, but seeing as I did my actual swap some time ago, I have no pics of actually doing it.

and unfortunatly, I learned about the head bolt trick right after I put my last transmission in. DOH.

I've had a rough copy as a sticky on ZDriver for a little while now.
                            http://zdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18209
                            Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
                            1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
                            2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

OK, I went to install the clutch and brake pedal assemblies today, but I cant figure out how the spring sits on the clutch pedal? Does anyone have a pic or can someone please take on for me? The person that I bought the pedals form took them all the way apart, every nut and bolt. Please Help Me!?! I have the pedal and spring in, but it doesnt seem right to me. When I depress the pedal it goes all the way to the floor in a snapping motion. I dont know if having the slave master attact will make a difference? Anyhow here are the pics maybe someone could point me in the right direction?

Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
                              Originally posted by BoostedMamma
                              Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

Working...
                              X