Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody breaking drivetrain parts at 400+ torque?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody breaking drivetrain parts at 400+ torque?

went to the dyno for the first time today and peaked at 411 torque at almost exactly 4k rpm and 329HP at 4500... thats kind of more torque than i expected and im wondering if i should start to worry about breaking things in the divetrain, especially since i have to drive over 100 miles to the closest 1/4 mile track.. i have a NA 5 speed tranny, ACT six puck, 3.7 open diff, and the 4 bolt halfshafts.. im worried about having a solid disk and im ditching that eventually for that new clutch that jason found, but for now this is what i have.. ive read that the axle stubs are the weak link.. should i be worrying at this power level? thank for any input

Probably if you try to launch it. The clutch is going to be what ends up killing stuff (at least it was for me) and making you look like you can't lanuch the car well (which is true). You may want to go for the real soft start and gentle shifts just to see how the car traps, trailer the car, or have another backup plan on getting home. AAA tows only 25 miles I think.

My road service people must hate me by now...

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Probably if you try to launch it. The clutch is going to be what ends up killing stuff (at least it was for me) and making you look like you can't lanuch the car well (which is true). You may want to go for the real soft start and gentle shifts just to see how the car traps, trailer the car, or have another backup plan on getting home. AAA tows only 25 miles I think.

I've towed over 100 miles w/ AAA premium..

funny, my own cars stopped stranding me once I bought it.

Will they pickup directly from the track? I've always wondered about that...
      vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
      2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

thanks, luckily i have a good friend with a trailer.. i also have AAA gold.. 100 miles towing.. once i blew a headgasket at limerock park in CT and had to get towed back to long island BEFORE i had the AAA gold. that cost 500 bucks.. luckily it was my dads 240z and not my car so he got stuck with the bill.. now my whole family has the best AAA package available.

but anyways, when you do break things its usually the axle stubs? they seem pretty beefy even compared to the halfshafts.. i can change those things out pretty quick, maybe ill throw a spare set in the car..

Comment

Chris86NA2T wrote: but anyways, when you do break things its usually the axle stubs? they seem pretty beefy even compared to the halfshafts.. i can change those things out pretty quick, maybe ill throw a spare set in the car..
          Well, I have broken everything in the driveline at least once so far. But the axle stubs are considered the weak link if the rest is in good condition.

grahfz wrote:
          Will they pickup directly from the track? I've always wondered about that...
          Yeah, the tow truck guy drove right in and picked it up next to the staging lanes both times. He likes to talk about back in the day when he raced Berger Chevy Camero drag cars... back when 11's was considered fast.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Probably if you try to launch it. The clutch is going to be what ends up killing stuff (at least it was for me) and making you look like you can't lanuch the car well (which is true). You may want to go for the real soft start and gentle shifts just to see how the car traps, trailer the car, or have another backup plan on getting home. AAA tows only 25 miles I think.

Can't you get free towing through your insurance?

I know I have that through Farm Bureau and it's only a few bucks extra every 6 months.
            1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
            '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
            "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: He likes to talk about back in the day when he raced Berger Chevy Camero drag cars... back when 11's was considered fast.
              Yeah Jason, your 11 second car is not fast :lol:
              Attached Files
              Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
              I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
              Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

watch out for that N/A tranny, with tht torque it will break with hard shifts. They are surprisingly strong though, i got like 15K out of a N/A trans i beat the crap out of it, so you will be fine for a while, just get another trans ready to throw in and put it on the side of your house and dont be surprised when it breaks...

Comment

roastin300 wrote: watch out for that N/A tranny, with tht torque it will break with hard shifts. They are surprisingly strong though, i got like 15K out of a N/A trans i beat the crap out of it, so you will be fine for a while, just get another trans ready to throw in and put it on the side of your house and dont be surprised when it breaks...
                  i have an 87-89 turbo tranny but i took it out because it desperatly needs an input shaft bearing.. the hidden one that you need to rip everything apart to get to.. once i have the time to fix it ill put it back in, but i really really dont want to do another tranny for a while so ill live the the NA tranny for some time.. those things are heavy, especially by yourself

Comment

Working...
                  X