Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So my friends bro just got his Moser axle stubs installed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my friends bro just got his Moser axle stubs installed...

Just got his custom Moser axle stubs and companion flanges installed(I'll be going with Modern motor sports). Yes the guy that everyone is skeptical if his car actualy makes 750-800whp.

So heres the deal, Paid $1500 total for the conversion including bearings and spacers. Got it all installed and is now snapping the actual CV shafts. He said he is snapping it by the differential side of the shaft where its actually a smaller diameter part of the shaft right before it goes into the boot. (I think this is where he was talking about) What he is doing about this is he is Taking a pipe that is .003" larger I.D. than the shaft, then cutting each end staggered(like the top of a castle) then sliding the pipe over a good axle somehow and welding the ends(the castle part) to the axle.

I havent heard if this works yet and many of you may not care just yet as you will most likley only be breaking stubs as for now. BUT as I find out more or learn more from my own experience I will be bumping this thread.

You can see here where it is thinner. If this is the spot he is talking about I dont know, I have to find out more info.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

couldn't you have sent them the whole halfshafts and told them to make beefy ones?

but you do realize at some point you will have more meat than the stub going into the diff and then that will snap and chew it up

Comment

Yeah he prolly coulda done that but after dropping 1500 on the stubs and companion flanges, Kinda a heavy blow to take at once. That and he didnt know that the half shafts themselves were going to break so soon. They are supposed to be really strong.Of course he knew somthing was going to break eventually but why send somthing to have a beefy one made if that might not have been you next week point.

If you wanted a larger spline halfshaft made then you would have to send it the whole inside of the diff in order for them to make a new one that would work together. Man! I dont even want to think about how much that would cost. guess the only thing you could do is have them make a better quality stub that stabs into the diff. It would have to retain the same spline count and diameter tho.

Comment

titannanaimum baby

Comment

Funzzzz

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Would the splined areas break? The splines = extra surface area to transfer powah! :twisted:

I've never heard of anybody breaking SS halfshafts, has it been done? or is everybody too afraid of the replacement cost?
            vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
            2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

grahfz wrote: Would the splined areas break? The splines = extra surface area to transfer powah! :twisted:

I've never heard of anybody breaking SS halfshafts, has it been done? or is everybody too afraid of the replacement cost?
              Are the SS shafts even any thicker? I know that the normal LSD halfshafts wont work in a VLSD but is that because the Diameter is actually larger with more splines?

Comment

I think that the VLSD splines actually go farther in to spin the viscous unit, but I've never had it apart, so don't quote me...
                vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

yea the diff side axle stubs are different, one is longer and one is shorter than the normal ones.... splines should be the same just off to one side like grahfz sez

Comment

grahfz wrote: Would the splined areas break? The splines = extra surface area to transfer powah! :twisted:
                    They shouldn't.
                    I dont think the surface area of the splines has much to do with that.
                    If the splines were twice as tall I think they would still shear at the same
                    force.
                    Its the underarea (I made that word up because I am ignorant and dont know a real term).
                    The way I see it, I picture a shaft with splines sheared off and measure
                    the newly exposed area. The area that actually breaks.
                    I then picture a shaft snapped in half and see less area than the splines.

I admit I dont know what effect that the difference in torsional forces
                    seen between the shaft and the splined section will amount to.

I may be seeing all this wrong.
                    imagination is a virtue

Comment

generally spline shafts break right at the end of the splines where they merge into the shank, something to do with the metallurgy, seen lots of electric motor shafts snap this way, less often when the splined area is larger than the shank

Comment

G-E wrote: yea the diff side axle stubs are different, one is longer and one is shorter than the normal ones.... splines should be the same just off to one side like grahfz sez
                        This is correct

SS Shafts Left and Center and a Turbo Shaft on the right

2005 whore magnet

Comment

Working...
                        X