No announcement yet.

New clutch arrived already - South Bend Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can i have the contact information for sbc? I need a new clutch asap... slipping in third gear now, 2nd even with a soft engage...
    8.5 custom arias pistons (.020 over)
    eagle rods
    t70 turbo (man was that a squeeze)
    38 mm external wastegate
    mild port/polish
    3 angle valve job
    custom intercooler piping
    twin external intakes with z32 maf
    rad moved back
    3" exhaust with only a resonator
    romulator
    420cc injectors
    custom body work, homemade oil lines and fittings..
    walbro 255lph in-line fuel pump.... and lots of headaches... lol

Comment

t70 wrote: Can i have the contact information for sbc? I need a new clutch asap... slipping in third gear now, 2nd even with a soft engage...
      Their import line is now called DXD:

http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/

SS pressure plate is a LOT stiffer than ACT, beware.

Comment

Thank-you very much jason!
        8.5 custom arias pistons (.020 over)
        eagle rods
        t70 turbo (man was that a squeeze)
        38 mm external wastegate
        mild port/polish
        3 angle valve job
        custom intercooler piping
        twin external intakes with z32 maf
        rad moved back
        3" exhaust with only a resonator
        romulator
        420cc injectors
        custom body work, homemade oil lines and fittings..
        walbro 255lph in-line fuel pump.... and lots of headaches... lol

Comment

so where's the first impressions and review posts?

it's all fine and dandy having the clutch, but that's hardly an indication of performance....

is it smooth like greasy silk?
          does it hold 543ft/lbs?
          does it smell like bad curry?

etc

Comment

G-E wrote: does it smell like bad curry?
            LMAO...classic man.

Seriously though I'm sure many of us would love to hear about the overall initial impressions.

still laughing...bad curry...I love it...
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

G-E wrote: so where's the first impressions and review posts?

it's all fine and dandy having the clutch, but that's hardly an indication of performance....

is it smooth like greasy silk?
              does it hold 543ft/lbs?
              does it smell like bad curry?

etc
              It'd be great if it was broken in. The sintered iron discs require a 500+ mile breakin period. Engine out of car right now so not too many miles are getting put on it, no opportunity to test. Pedal effort is going to be pretty much huge compared to the ACT HD pressure plate and might be the one shortcoming according to all I've read on supra forums and supramania.

Comment

I'll be reporting back with opinions on the $425.00 250mm FE kit......
                *This '87t build is going to be utilizing it.
                Will add picture of the actual unit when it arrives.
                I am here to help...

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: It'd be great if it was broken in. The sintered iron discs require a 500+ mile breakin period. Engine out of car right now so not too many miles are getting put on it, no opportunity to test. Pedal effort is going to be pretty much huge compared to the ACT HD pressure plate and might be the one shortcoming according to all I've read on supra forums and supramania.
                  Hey jason, My Spec sintered iron disc required no break-in and pedal effort was stock

let us know how it turns out
                  used to have one of the first high horsepower NA to turbo cam'd 7000rpm pavement pounding z31's....now in process of building an LQ9 LS1 6.0L Z31 with all the goodies

Comment

I have the engine/trans sitting in place as of an hour ago. I mounted the slave cyl to the transmission just to see how heavy the pedal was.

All I can say is WOW. I grossly overestimated how much pedal effort would be required...

Even though it has a higher clamp load, the "SS" pressure plate actually gives a noticeably softer pedal than the ACT HD did. It's marginally, if any stiffer than a stock pedal. Now I can't wait to see how the engagement/drivability is.

Hopefully I'll have the car started sometime this week.

Comment

Update:

I just drove the car for the first time with the new engine and clutch.

This clutch is simply awesome. The pedal effort is almost as soft as stock, and it engages very smoothly. Also I have far less gear noise from the transmissions at lower RPM's on account of the sprung hub. I thought I liked the ACT 6 puck, but I am NEVER going back after experiencing this thing.

I'll post more updates after it's broken in and I can really beat on it.

Comment

That is awesome that the new clutch is almost as soft as stock and softer than the ACT HD 6 Puck. This will make a great clutch then for daily driving and be able to hold the power of our modified engines.

keep us updated...
                        1988 SS TURBO BEING RESTORE.
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238220

Comment

Any new updates on the clutch. I'm thinking of Putting my ACT CLUTCH for sale and getting the SBC'S clutch. I really like the idea of the sprung hub compare to the ACT 6 puck. If it feels softer than the ACT I will definitely get it.
                          1988 SS TURBO BEING RESTORE.
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238220

Comment

I could not be happier with it, it is honestly everything I hoped for. This may seem like a rant, but I really wish you could drive my car to experience how good it really is.

Driving in traffic it feels almost like stock. My leg/knee does not get sore from holding it in and I don't jar the drivetrain every time I take off. It engages smooth with no chatter or vibration and holds once engaged.

I can launch the car again very nicely by slipping it a little off the line to build boost in first. I could not do that with the 6 puck without either a very harsh engagement or chattering, or both. I can come off the line at stoplights a lot faster than ever before without worrying about the heavy shock to the drivetrain from a harsh engagement.

There is far less noise from the transmission.

The clutch is rated to hold more torque, and last much longer than a 6 puck... the first thing to wear out will be the spring hub, but those usually take 50-75K of hard driving before they need to be replaced... and then it's just a simple procedure of sending the disc back to SBC for replacement.

Would I recommend this clutch: ABSOLUTELY! Contact Dan at TSS and he might be able to get you a slightly better price (at the very least you would be supporting him) as he is now a DXD racing clutch distributor!

Comment

FINALLY!
                              *I have completed All talks/agreements to be able to sell the DXD clutch kits and Fidanza Light Weight Flywheels. I have updated my online store and have been warned that my advertised pricing has to be within reason......so!
                              Here's the link:
                              http://www.thespecshop.com/store.asp?Ty ... &Query=DXD
                              **The justification of a discount can be had/accepted should anyone person decide to go with a combo package of any DXD clutch kit, plus the Fidanza Flywheel. Details on said discount pertains to which package one chooses and the pricing is discussed strictly through e-mailing me.
                              I will now be growing my stock of these as I see what kits move the best....
                              8)
                              Dan
                              I am here to help...

Comment

Jason, who was your contact at DXD?
                                2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Working...
                                X