Destroyed the FS5W71C!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destroyed the FS5W71C!

My Front input shaft seal is leakign tranny fluid... ive known this... this is why my 1 year old exedy clutch is slipping on my 86NA.

Anyway...
    Through the year or so that Ive had the car with this clutch just installed, that seal got replaced. But I dont know but my mechanic somehow didnt install it right and it has been leaking ever since.
    Last week by a years worth of leaking slowly it has gotten itself up to a point where it started whining... REALLY... REALLY.... REALLY loud. Im talking about... on the freeway... going 50mph... the whine from the tranny was WAYYY louder to even hear my engine (I have a 2.5 inch straight through exhaust) and to hear my cd player at the same time...

Anyway...
    I had to go to work ALL DAY everyday for a couple of days so Ive been driving with it just about almost dry...

Today I FINALLY (after 3-4 days of driving it) filled it with 85-140 weight (Meets all GL Specifications) LUCAS tranny fluid.

I started the car and drove it around, and the whine went away about 40%, but its still EXTREMELY loud...
    What have I done?

oh yea... Also... the whine ever since it first started a week ago is ONLY existant upon ACCELERATING, upon deceleration it is absolutely completely gone, and its also the same today even after I filled it.

WHats the deal?
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
    ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

You've done damage by running it dry.

You can pretty quickly add fluid to it by pulling the shifter out and dumping a bottle in that way.
    vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
    2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

Your bearings are most likely shot, meaning your axial play is making the gearsets mesh improperly... find another one and swap it... they are not worth rebuilding unless you have a lot of extra money and time floting around.

Comment

That sucks man, My gearbox has a whine when it is cold

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Yep, I agree on the bearings. I bet the shafts where the bearing ride are worn, too. Just replace it. I'll see if I can locate one for you.
          Chuck Stong
          300+ Parts and Performance owner
          http://www.300-plus.com
          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Update:

just went WOT on the freeway and went through 3rd, and went halfway through 4th (110mph) and shortshifted in 5th and went WOT. (yes stupid of me)

and I all of a sudden the tranny got instantly ALOT louder so I of course got scared and slowed down and now its LOUD at ALL speed ranges, before this incident it made very little to no noise up until 40mph from 0, and then the noise almost went away again at 65mph and up. After doing this WOT run now it makes a LOUD whinign and rumblign sound at ANY speed.

When I say loud, you guys have NO idea how long it really is. its freakign LOUD.
            1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
            ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
            1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

Comment

Like a race car with straight cut gears and a dogbox loud?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

1SIKZ31 wrote: My Front input shaft seal is leakign tranny fluid... ive known this... this is why my 1 year old exedy clutch is slipping on my 86NA.

Anyway...
                Through the year or so that Ive had the car with this clutch just installed, that seal got replaced. But I dont know but my mechanic somehow didnt install it right and it has been leaking ever since.
                Last week by a years worth of leaking slowly it has gotten itself up to a point where it started whining... REALLY... REALLY.... REALLY
                loud. Im talking about... on the freeway... going 50mph... the whine from the tranny was WAYYY louder to even hear my engine (I have a 2.5 inch straight through exhaust) and to hear my cd player at the same time...

Anyway...
                I had to go to work ALL DAY everyday for a couple of days so Ive been driving with it just about almost dry...

Today I FINALLY (after 3-4 days of driving it) filled it with 85-140 weight (Meets all GL Specifications) LUCAS tranny fluid.

I started the car and drove it around, and the whine went away about 40%, but its still EXTREMELY loud...
                What have I done?

oh yea... Also... the whine ever since it first started a week ago is ONLY existant upon ACCELERATING, upon deceleration it is absolutely completely gone, and its also the same today even after I filled it.

WHats the deal?
                let me get this straight... you had a leak.. the leak was never fixed properly and you ran the tranny dry.. now it makes noise.. you added fluid and it makes a little less noise. then you ask "whats the deal"... what exactly are you trying to figure out here?

Comment

z

Comment

zmech wrote: That is more nicely put than what I was thinking.

Zmech
                    yea.. i try to be nice on this forum... maybe we should just redirect these people to z31.com and then let loose on them..

Comment

You might need one sooner than Feb. Plan on it becoming undrivable sometime soon. I would get another tranny before anything else.
                      Chuck Stong
                      300+ Parts and Performance owner
                      http://www.300-plus.com
                      2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
                      X