Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smell from rubber insulator on shifter assembly...solutions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smell from rubber insulator on shifter assembly...solutions?

Anyone else have this problem? On road trips, when a mass of heat rises from under the car and hits the rubber insulator on the shift assembly for a long period of time, a smell starts venting.

I've removed it completely before. The smell goes away but heat and sound now enter the cabin. Is there some sort of spray I can nail this rubber piece with to keep it from spewing a smell when it gets heated?
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Re: Smell from rubber insulator on shifter assembly...soluti

Signal 12 wrote: Anyone else have this problem? On road trips, when a mass of heat rises from under the car and hits the rubber insulator on the shift assembly for a long period of time, a smell starts venting.

I've removed it completely before. The smell goes away but heat and sound now enter the cabin. Is there some sort of spray I can nail this rubber piece with to keep it from spewing a smell when it gets heated?
    Man! I had that same problem when I pulled mine out, cut it down and welded it back up. AHHH THE SMELL!!!! /vomit. Dont know what to tell you though. Pull the shifter burn out all the rubber heat insulator stuff and then weld it back together? thats what I did when I shortened it.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

im not 100% shure in the difference of the FS5R30A to the FS5W71C but i know the 71C has a little vent at the top, possibly hot trans smell? time to change the trans fluid?

Comment

Re: Smell from rubber insulator on shifter assembly...soluti

Signal 12 wrote: Anyone else have this problem? On road trips, when a mass of heat rises from under the car and hits the rubber insulator on the shift assembly for a long period of time, a smell starts venting.

Nothing that a ZipTie can't fix. As long as the rubber boot and steel plate that install from the interior side are in good shape, just add a little sealant to make an absolute seal from the rubber to the chassis and a ziptie on the shifter shaft portion of the rubber to make a good seal.

I have had cars with next to nothing left for the actual boot sealing from the shifter to the transmission. Following what I am advising solved any smelling issues. What was left in regards to the silly boot for the shifter to the trans was merely a dust cover and not enough to get a ziptie on for locking the rubber boot to the tranny. No harm other than vapor/smells easily exiting.
        Dan
        I am here to help...

Comment

Working...
        X