Halfshaft storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halfshaft storage

I have a pair of N/A halfshafts i pulled last spring.
    Do they need to be compressed (using something like bailing wire) for storage or can they be
    bagged and layed on their side. Mine have a slight seepage of grease coming from the differential end
    when layed horizontally. The boots are in good condition with no age cracks.

I rememeber seeing someone that used bailing wire to keep theirs from un-compressing during
    storage or a swap, but can't remember the reason.

Thanks.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Hmm, never heard of that but I would be interested to know as well. I have always stored halfshafts by just wrapping rags around the ends and putting them into a bag and laying them on the ground. They seem fine when used again.

Comment

I would not think the telescoping joint would be hurt by resting in any position in the housing... IE expanded or whatever. The extra lube is just contained by the boot for the sake of it being in there; there's a TON of it for each joint. It's more important that nothing gets in in terms of moisture or contaminants. I wrap mine in plastic wrap and keep them in a dark spot. Two things primarily degrade those boots: UV and Ozone.

Comment

Working...
      X