FS5R30A install in 86T - Transmission Mount Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS5R30A install in 86T - Transmission Mount Holes

I've got the engine and transmission in the car... but still need to install the transmission mount.

The bolt holes on the transmission mount are about 3/8" ahead of the threaded holes in the body.

I've tried to research, but havent found anything definitive.

I drilled some pilot holes in the body, but found that the metal is not very thick; I was hoping that the thick "plate" with the threaded holes would move around...but its fixed in place.

As it stands now, I think that I'm going to drill some 1.5" access holes from inside the car so that I can tack-weld some M10x1.25 nuts and washers in place... but I'm assuming that there is an easier way to do it.

Could anyone thats done this swap (T-5 to FS5R30A) please reply and tell me what you did?

thanks,
    Colin
    '86 300ZX Turbo
    '94 968
    '84 944

I've done it. What I did was modify the tranny mount itself. elongated the hole into ovals that way I didnt have to drill holes in the body and make that a weak spot. Wasnt TOO hard to do.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

i drilled and tapped the body of the car. worked fine, even with 300+ hp

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
      good thing....

Comment

SATAN wrote: I've done it. What I did was modify the tranny mount itself. elongated the hole into ovals that way I didnt have to drill holes in the body and make that a weak spot. Wasnt TOO hard to do.
        Exactly what I did. I didn't think it was worth drilling and tapping the thin metal only to have the crossmember fit all funny. Slotting the crossmember and the mount holes on the isolator itself gave more than enough adjustment. It ended up still fitting well with the poly isolator in place. Just enough movement to make the slotted holes line up with the stock bolt holes.

Comment

thats funny.. ive had that tranny in my 86NA body and it fit just fine.

Comment

Wasnt there somthing weird with the 86 that allowed both trannies to bolt up with no modifications? Cant remember for sure.

Comment

thanks guys, I guess I'll slot the holes in the transmission mount.

Is 1/2" to 3/8" about what you guys had to make up for?
              '86 300ZX Turbo
              '94 968
              '84 944

Comment

300guy wrote: thanks guys, I guess I'll slot the holes in the transmission mount.

Is 1/2" to 3/8" about what you guys had to make up for?
                Yup. basically just making the holes into ovals.

Comment

righton, thanks.

This will be pretty easy.
                  '86 300ZX Turbo
                  '94 968
                  '84 944

Comment

Working...
                  X