How to make 84-86 digital dash speedometer work with FS5R30A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make 84-86 digital dash speedometer work with FS5R30A

Hopefully, this procedure is not posted somehwere obvious and I missed it. Anyway, here is my question. I recently obtained a FS5R30A to swap into my '86. After cleaning, I noticed the speedometer "sending unit"? I am not sure what the correct nomeclature for this part is. Obviously, it does the conversion right there at the trasnmission versus the mechanical linkage as on the older T5 models. Can someone tell me how to make this setup work with my digital dash, or point me in the right direction for this information? Thanks!
    2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

unscrew the speed sensor and screw in your spedometer cable.. it fits right in, no modification necessary.

Comment

Well, that is too simple! Yes, I feel stupid for not knowing that, but happy non-the-less. Thank you for the very quick reply! I can't believe there are no hoops to jump through.
      2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

Comment

Now, I have a new question. Is the signal that comes out of the FS5R30A speed sensor compatable/interchangable with the unit mounted near the battery tray? I would be interested in removing the mechanical linkage if possible. I guess my real question are there two wires coming out of the older style speed sensor that go to the dash? Yes, I am being lazy here. I can look that up in the FSM. Just curious if anybody else has performed this before?

Comment

they went to an all electronic speed sensor in 87.... I forget if the ecu and ascd also reads/uses the signal or whether it's just the dash,

Comment

just remove the unit and screw in the speedo cable on your car. My digi's working just fine. (86)
            vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
            2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

Working...
            X