Auto -> FS5R90A swap help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto -> FS5R90A swap help...

Im replacing my auto tranny with a FS5R90A in my '85 NA, and am having some problems that Im hoping you guys can help me with.

1. For some reason, it takes tons of force (a ball-peen) to get the driveshaft into the tranny. Everything lines up, I dont get it.

2. Mounts... The auto and manual ones are different, anyone know where I can get different ones?

3. Did anyone else notice that the lip on the bell-housing is 1/4" thicker on the manual than it is on the auto?

maybe because there is more force (slave cylinder, clutch actions) on the manual.

On the driveshaft, have you tried all the different directions?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Yeah, every way we can think of...

Comment

maybe try heating up the female end then

Comment

You should not have to hit anything to get the driveshaft on. If it doesnt just slide on there is something wrong with one of the parts or you dont have the right driveshaft. As far as I know the autotragic driveshaft doesnt work on the manual transmissions. Which driveshaft are you using? Are you sure neither the output shaft or driveshaft are damaged?

Comment

They both LOOK fine, and Im almost positive they are from the same car.

EDIT:
            And on the topic of the mounts. Ive found that I need a new whole crossmember assembly that mounts the tranny to the body. If anyone has one for an 86T, please let me know on here or via AIM: Sp4rt4n423

Comment

I hate to double post but...

I also noticed that once I got the driveshaft in and in place, the bolt holes on the end wouldnt line up with the rear end... Normal? Not normal?

Comment

The differential flange was different from 87-89. The 87 cars have an almost square four bolt pattern and the 84-86 are more rectangle I beleive. Sounds like you have a transmission/driveshaft out of an 87+Na.
                My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Ok... Now Im waiting on a new driveshaft and other minor parts to arrive, but Im in need of some wiring help... I keep finding contradictory information. How do you deal with the neutral safety switch and the reverse lights? Heres the best explanation Ive found so far... but its not too descriptive.

You will have to do a little re-wiring. The wire cluster that connected to the automatic, find the wires for the neutral sefety switch and reverse light.
                  There are two easy ways fo doing the neutral safety switch. One, take the Overdrive switch off the autos shifter, put that in a blank spot on the center console. And Two, Get yourself an actual neutral safety switch from a manual (the one at the clutch pedal) and wire it up to that. The switch on the center console is also a nifty anti-theft device. The reverse light is really easy, just hook up the 2 wires from the cluster to the two wires on the switch.

Comment

Couldn't you loop the nuetral safety switch from the auto, which would be the same as the clutch switch for the manual. ( i don't have one for some reason ).

Then there should be two wires that are either at the shifter or at the trans that close the reverse light circuit. Run those to the reverse switch on the manual trans.

Just thoughts

Comment

Hmmm that seems like it would work.

Comment

all the info you need for the wiring http://z31.com/oboard/archives/view.pl?170
                        Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
                        Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

Comment

for whatever reason, neither of my tranny's switches ohmed out when i shifted it around. So i had to just jump the clutch wire. I'm used to driving cars without the saftely switch anyhow but it'd still be nice to have. Right now i'm more worried about my spongy brakes.
                          My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                          My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                          207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Working...
                          X