No announcement yet.

Will a 2wd pathy 30a trans direct swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a 2wd pathy 30a trans direct swap?

into a z.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
    good thing....

Different length case. You can swap internals, though.
    Chuck Stong
    300+ Parts and Performance owner
    http://www.300-plus.com
    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

k, that`s what i figured

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
      good thing....

Comment

Firehawk wrote: Different length case. You can swap internals, though.
        Uhh no it is not a different length case. I have seen a wd21 30a used in a z31. I would like to see some documentation as to such if you have it.
        http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

[quote]Steve88t wrote:
          Originally posted by Firehawk
          Different length case. You can swap internals, though.
          Uhh no it is not a different length case. I have seen a wd21 30a used in a z31. I would like to see some documentation as to such if you have it.
          I had two 30a's side by side. Take my word for it or not.
          Chuck Stong

Comment

Even if the case is a different length, would it be too hard to slot or re-tap the mounts and get a custom driveshaft? Driveshafts are expensive, It turned out to be the most expensive individual purchase for my 5sp/NA2T operation.
            My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
            My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
            207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

its more of a matter of the shifter being up in the radio. Thats why the Z32 tranny's have an extension linkage.
              [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
              [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
              2000 Porsche Boxster
              2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

Az4u2c wrote: Even if the case is a different length, would it be too hard to slot or re-tap the mounts and get a custom driveshaft? Driveshafts are expensive, It turned out to be the most expensive individual purchase for my 5sp/NA2T operation.
                I just had a tranny shop go through the truck tranny and install it in a z31 case.
                Chuck Stong

Comment

[quote]Firehawk wrote:
                  Originally posted by Az4u2c
                  Even if the case is a different length, would it be too hard to slot or re-tap the mounts and get a custom driveshaft? Driveshafts are expensive, It turned out to be the most expensive individual purchase for my 5sp/NA2T operation.
                  I just had a tranny shop go through the truck tranny and install it in a z31 case.
                  and how much did that save you over just getting the bad 30a rebuilt?

Comment

Individual parts for the internals between the 30a for the z31 and trucks are different, and have different part numbers (which confirms the difference). Many of the parts are no longer available through nissan, so the only choice in rebuilding a tranny correctly was to swap the internals as a whole from a truck, and rebuild what it needed as those parts are available. It was not cheap, but much less than buying a new tranny.
                    Chuck Stong

Comment

[quote]Firehawk wrote:
                      If you're sure the housings are different lengths then I will take your word for it. Based on external visual inspection alone they looked about identical; how much longer is the Z31 trans? Since you were able to swap the internals I would take it just the output shaft and rear housing are different lengths?

Comment

Since I have not put two side by side I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But I know 100% that Al Dunbar put a wd21 30a in his 87 turbo when he swapped from auto to 5 speed and used a stock driveshaft from a 87-89 turbo.

As for internals being different I'm certain they are. The ratios are different for trucks and cars.

If the bellhousing was longer, the input shaft would have to be longer as well. Same goes for the output shaft and housing.

So how much longer do you think it is?
                        http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Steve88t wrote: Since I have not put two side by side I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But I know 100% that Al Dunbar put a wd21 30a in his 87 turbo when he swapped from auto to 5 speed and used a stock driveshaft from a 87-89 turbo.

As for internals being different I'm certain they are. The ratios are different for trucks and cars.

If the bellhousing was longer, the input shaft would have to be longer as well. Same goes for the output shaft and housing.

So how much longer do you think it is?
                          what is probably the case is they made revisions to the 30a either for a "heavy duty" application and then past a certain year for all of them, which is also why stinky? was able to swap the z32 trans guts into the z31 30a housing as a complete set

if you read that doc that comes on the fast disc it is regarding the r30a and the gearset/shaft combos you can use, and they have all prior and superceding parts numbers listed so you can match them in an approved manner... the doc is linked in the sticky r30 thread

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote: [quote=Firehawk]
                            If you're sure the housings are different lengths then I will take your word for it. Based on external visual inspection alone they looked about identical; how much longer is the Z31 trans? Since you were able to swap the internals I would take it just the output shaft and rear housing are different lengths?
                            They were 3-4 inches in difference, but I did not measure it, and I do think it was the rear housing that were different, but there could be more. Once I saw them side by side it was obvious that it would not just bolt in. It was coming apart anyway, so it just made more sence to install it in a z31 case that was already apart.
                            Chuck Stong

Comment

Working...
                            X