my latest aquisition pics 56k no!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my latest aquisition pics 56k no!

well i just got the flywheel i bought off 1sickz , it looks great for the the price , theres a tooth off the starter ring gear broken , what do you guys think? , will this cause me problems? and does anybody know where i canget a new ring gear??

Geeze. :roll:

It won't be much of a problem. Maybe once in a while when you go to start the car and the starter contacts that area, it will make a grinding sound. Stop and try again.

Comment

what mike, i thought that was your buddie.... :lol:

he was running a stand alone EMU, it`s possible that that missing tooth was the trigger for a CAS. just a thought...

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
      good thing....

Comment

well the ring is replacable , just like the friction plate , that why i dont see it as that big of a deal , i know i can get a new ring gear if i have to . i have a spare starter sitting around somewhere , im going to see if it would actually come to a point where the motor might not want to might over because of this ..

i have searched on the fidanza site and i yahood it , but i cant find where to buy the new ring gear , it has a p/n on it so it shouldnt be hard to find .

i payed 200 for it with shipping , the friction disk is in pretty good condition, he said it had less than 300 miles on it , i think maybe less than 1k or maybe hes wasnt lying buth e was beating the poop out of it , i can feel the tiniest little groove from where the 240mm disk was making contact and where a 250mm disk would have made contact (virgin part of the disk) , so it was a great deal . :twisted:

Comment

The friction surface MUST be replaced when you use a different clutch disc regardless of how many miles are on it. They run about $120

The ring gear can be replaced, fidanza resellers can order it for you. Still, replacing it is not very easy because they are pressed on in addition to being secured with fasteners. I'd guess $100 for the ring gear, but maybe less.

I know South Bend Clutch can get both of those parts for you at a very reasonable cost. http://www.southbendclutch.com

Considering those two things, I hope you didn't pay more than $80 for that flywheel because they are $300 brand new.

Comment

i payed 200 , and im taking my chances with the friction plate . maybe il deburr it with my dremel!!! since im going to be using the same material clutch and same size , makin three time less power , i think it may break in nicely ... if something does go wrong then i will pull it back out and learn from my mistakes , im going to try and get my moneys worth out of the thing before i put more into it ...

i may just drop it in ,and take it out if i do end up having problems with the ring gear....

you know the fasteners are a one time use thing as well, are they included with the friction plate? btw i got this one time use crap from the fidanza web site.... if you dont believe me or something

Comment

2+2turbo wrote: i payed 200
              Excuse my enthusiasm... but you got RIPPED THE FU&K OFF. Good lord.

2+2turbo wrote: and im taking my chances with the friction plate . maybe il deburr it with my dremel!!! since im going to be using the same material clutch and same size , makin three time less power , i think it may break in nicely ...
              Just THINK about what you just said. I'm going to be nice and not even respond any more than that.

2+2turbo wrote:
              you know the fasteners are a one time use thing as well, are they included with the friction plate? btw i got this one time use crap from the fidanza web site.... if you dont believe me or something
              Yes, the fasteners are also included with the new friction surface for the flywheel.

Comment

well for one , now that i think of it , wheni chenged my clutch i didnt get my flywheel resurfaced like i should have and it has worked great without a problem so i dont see how i haveto get a new friction plate , maybe theyre different material , i dont know and i guess i am a dummass for not doingit the right way.

two , it seemed like a great price at the moment , i didnt know that you had to have change the friction disk if putting in a different clutch or you die , and i had no idea that there was a missing tooth off the ring gear.

if anything im just going to throw it in and hope for the best , my car is pretty slow right now so i dont think i will be slipping it or heating it up much , i really dont think the ring gear will give me much trouble , if it does then i will definetly get that fixed . i can drop the tranny and change a clutch in a couple of hours so i think ill be fine

Comment

can you please post this on z31.com? i have some things to say about this, but i promised jason i would maintain a certain level of decency on this forum. i can say here, however that you did not think about this purchase at all. you can get them brand new on ebay for 300 bucks. you spent 200 bucks on a used flywheel. now you have to spend another 80 (cheapest price i have seen) for a new friction surface, and even more if you want to change that ring gear.

Comment

why did you think i didnt post this on z31.com to begin with?

i dont really care or care to listen to you and your other buddies negativity.

i have decided that i am not going to change the friction plate for now even with the news that i just recieved about it , i know i may have payed too much for what i got , but theres really nothing i can do about it now , im just going to ride it out and hope for the best as already had stated .....

Comment

you can have the missing tooth brazed.... just add material and file to perfection, should be adequate

as for resurfacing go ahead and use a sanding disc for a die grinder or drill and just go over it evenly..... if you don't mind taking the chance you have to tear it apart again then save your money and try it

why do you ask if you don't want to hear an answer? why do you need an answer at all when you already have a plan?

Comment

Contrary to what people say, you can have the friction surface "re-surfaced"

I did it to mine, you just need to take it to a reputable machine shop and have them use a very slow feed rate as to not heat up the surface too much.

takes a little bit longer, but works

oh and that busted tooth on the ring gear should give you no problems.
                        used to have one of the first high horsepower NA to turbo cam'd 7000rpm pavement pounding z31's....now in process of building an LQ9 LS1 6.0L Z31 with all the goodies

Comment

G-E wrote: why do you ask if you don't want to hear an answer? why do you need an answer at all when you already have a plan?
                          well because i wanted opinions , he was asking me to post this on z31 so him and his internet buddies could flame me ......

and i didn have a plan until i took a minute to brainstorm :idea:

Comment

Ken in AZ wrote: Contrary to what people say, you can have the friction surface "re-surfaced"

I did it to mine, you just need to take it to a reputable machine shop and have them use a very slow feed rate as to not heat up the surface too much.
                            Great to know for future reference. How much did they charge you to do that?

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
                              Originally posted by Ken in AZ
                              Contrary to what people say, you can have the friction surface "re-surfaced"

Great to know for future reference. How much did they charge you to do that?
                              normal cost $40

bad thing is that you are not machining the mounting surface for the pressure plate, I don't know if that's bad, but I didn't seem to notice, even when I would run 24psi in 5th gear going 150+mph 8)
                              used to have one of the first high horsepower NA to turbo cam'd 7000rpm pavement pounding z31's....now in process of building an LQ9 LS1 6.0L Z31 with all the goodies

Comment

Working...
                              X