Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things about DXD Series Stage One clutch

Well..
    I just got my Rally series Stage one clutch from South Bend Clutches.
    DXD Series of course...

I noticed that the Pressure Plate is painted red and has a "DXD Clutches" sticker on it. I Then looked over at the Clutch Disc and noticed closely that its actually an Exedy Clutch Disc, which was weird but whatever.

Firehawk (Z31p member) came by and picked up my car and I showed him the clutch, and upon closer inspection... he noticed that BOTH the disc and the pressure plate have this special stamp on them engraved in the metal, I forgot what the stamp looked like but it was 3 if I remember correctly letters with 2 lines undeaneath them going in to a "U" shape.

Anyway...
    For some reason this is really fishy...
    I think that the company is selling an Exedy Pressure plate and clutch disc and painting the pressure plate red and slapping a sticker on it, because im certain almost that theres no way both pieces have the exact same stamp on them unless there both exedy products or unless im being stupid.

Any enlightment? :roll:
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
    ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

Sounds like they changed something on the exedy clutch system.

Doen't exedy make a good majority of the stock clutch systems for many, many cars?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Sounds like they changed something on the exedy clutch system.

Doen't exedy make a good majority of the stock clutch systems for many, many cars?
      sounds like they changed the color lol and selling it as a stage one clutch which I hope ISNT the case.

Comment

I think a lot of people do that. Being a stage 1 it makes sense to me. I bet they just upped the clamping load of the pressure plate a little bit for a little extra capacity. I could be wrong though. :lol:

Comment

Oh, its stage 1?

I believe it

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MachZ wrote: I think a lot of people do that. Being a stage 1 it makes sense to me. I bet they just upped the clamping load of the pressure plate a little bit for a little extra capacity. I could be wrong though. :lol:
            JWT used to sell a z31 clutch that was a tweaked Clutchmasters Stage 1 clutch so maybe so.

Comment

euro drive will take any pressure plate you bring them and change the clamp pressure....

what sbc is doing special is on the high end, they are giving 250mm clutches the similar force as the 240mm have enjoyed with act, but due to more surface area the torque is much higher

Comment

Well you stumbled onto the obvious, it's built using exedy pressure plate and hub. Just about every smaller shop building clutches uses exedy components for imports.

The difference is in the stronger hub springs, the SBC proprietary lining material, and the tweaking of the diaphragm to accomplish more clamp load without a heavier pedal. This is what makes a clutch perform how it does, and this is what makes it a DXD clutch and NOT exedy.

Just like JWT using clutchmasters and ACT using Exedy as well... All you had to do was call them and they would have gladly explained that to you!

Comment

Your SO incredibly knowledgable!

Thanks alot jason.
                  Now im not worried about this whole clutch pressure plate issue...

I have a question though... a couple days ago (more like a week ago) here on Z31P a couple threads down from me I stumbled accross someone with a DXD Stage One and he JUST got the clutch in the car and he said it slipped when he was trying to pass a truck.

Should this happen since the linings arent worn in yet?

Firehawk is telling me 200 miles to break in my clutch (and a couple more miles to fully seat it) and other various sources are telling me 500 miles, some even 1000 miles.
                  During the first 200 or so miles can I get in to boost just a bit?

I DO NOT want to ruin another clutch like I did a year ago.

Comment

I'm no clutch expert, but ACT told me keep my foot out of it for 500 miles. Maybe they are giving a high number to be on the safe side but I would definately stay out of boost for the first 200. Like you said, you don't want to ruin a new clutch, and 200 miles is really not that much and shouldn't take too long to rack up. Hell, I ride my bicycle almost 100 miles a week.

Comment

you are supposed to go easy on them for 500 miles. every clutch i have installed had the same directions.

also make sure you adjusted the clutch rod on your pedal if you feel it is still slipping.

i purchased a clutchmasters stage one clutch. i really like it. year good pedal feel, and very good load holding. mine was slipping right after i put it on and bleed everything. so i adjusted the rod out some and the slipping stopped.

Comment

newb question: where is the adjustment for the clutch? I don't remember seeing one. this could be my problem.

It's pointless to do anything right now since in snow it spins them just as soon as you let the clutch out on idle. no grip=no stress on clutch for a while.
                        My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                        My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                        207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

fit yourself under the dash. look at the clutch pedal. there is a rod that connects to it from the clutch cylinder. there is one nut on there. loosen it.

then turn the rod until there is minimal clutch pedal play.

then retighten the nut when you have it adjusted to having very little play.

it doesn't take long to do. its just squeezing yourself in there.

Comment

84z31 wrote: fit yourself under the dash. look at the clutch pedal. there is a rod that connects to it from the clutch cylinder. there is one nut on there. loosen it.

then turn the rod until there is minimal clutch pedal play.

then retighten the nut when you have it adjusted to having very little play.

it doesn't take long to do. its just squeezing yourself in there.

There's a spec for this in the FSM... but generally under an inch of freeplay is desired. Just be sure it's not constantly riding or it can wear out both the clutch and TOB in a very short time.

Breaking in is 500 miles because the disc has to burnish to the pp and flywheel surfaces. Keeping the temperature low during breakin is essential, that's why they don't recommend you slip it much or get on the gas until you've city
                            driven it for quite a while; if it slips it will heat up and might not seat properly. Also, if you didnt resurface the flywheel it may not ever break in properly.

Comment

Working...
                            X