• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launching.

2 questions

1) what RPM are you guys launching your cars at
    2) do i need to worry about breaking stuff with a stock motor
    i currently have a fidanza flywheel, act street clutch, aka indestructible, and basically its a NA2T, so NA half shafts.sometimes when i launch it i get bad wheel hop!im afraid to break something, but ive seen my friend drop the clutch a million times in his 50th.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/onefast87

you can control your wheel hop with better shocks and springs.

key word: stiffer :!:

Comment

Launched at a variable RPM. Kind of pulsate the gas between 2700-3400 to build some boost.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

i went out and launched mine pretty hard tonight to make sure my alternator belt wasn't going to fly off. i had some pretty hard wheel hop as well. so it looks like i'll be getting some tokicos for the rear with the adjustable.

Comment

If you want to do a good launch dont just drop the clutch. You have to slip it very quickly, taking a total of about 1 second. to where it just starts to grab(you can feel it) and 1 second later, totaly released.

This is hard on your clutch however. I run a six puc ductile iron disk and lauch at 20psi at 4700 -5000 rpm slipping for about 1 second.

Hopfully your clutch is as indestructable as is "known"

This info changes greatly if you are running street tires and not slicks
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

^ the same idea applys. Street or slicks.

You cant just litterly rev, drop the clutch and not expect things to shimmy, shudder shake and hop a bit.

A quick clutch release is fine but the old foot slip and sudden engagement isn't going to work well in most cases. A bit of slippage and grab will be best if your clutch can stand the forces over time. On the other hand rev and foot slip will cause more damage to parts than a bit of slipping of the clutch.

I lit up my NA on some gnarly ass rough pavement with virtually no wheel hop and both sides laying down equal length marks. Same on very smooth and even pavement.
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

I wouldn't call it indestructable. Take a look at the one I pulled out of a bone-stock SS with shitty winter tires on the rear...

It was pretty well nuked.
              My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
              My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
              207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Az4u2c wrote: I wouldn't call it indestructable. Take a look at the one I pulled out of a bone-stock SS with shitty winter tires on the rear.
                ok my bad hear guys when i say "indestructible" i mean to say the FS5R30A transmission.
                http://www.youtube.com/user/onefast87

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: ^ the same idea applys. Street or slicks.

You cant just litterly rev, drop the clutch and not expect things to shimmy, shudder shake and hop a bit.

A quick clutch release is fine but the old foot slip and sudden engagement isn't going to work well in most cases. A bit of slippage and grab will be best if your clutch can stand the forces over time. On the other hand rev and foot slip will cause more damage to parts than a bit of slipping of the clutch.

I lit up my NA on some gnarly ass rough pavement with virtually no wheel hop and both sides laying down equal length marks. Same on very smooth and even pavement.
                  Oh I meant that it changes greatly meaning launching at 20psi on slicks or street tires. Basically meaning if you try to launch at 20psi in street tires then your are gonna get nothing but wheel spin and smoke.
                  85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                  04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

^I was actually agreeing with you. Perhaps I wasnt quite clear on that though. :wink:
                    Just stand back and throw money.
                    Performance costs money.
                    Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Working...
                    X