Neutral Safety Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutral Safety Switch

I just finished the auto-manual swap on my '85 NA (swapped a '86T in it). For some reason, I have to start the car in gear, with or without the clutch in. If i try it in neutral at all, i get nothing...

Any ideas?

What? How does the system know your 5 speed is in gear?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

+1^

That doesnt make sence to me. It would know if your clutch was engaged but I wouldnt think there are sensors to tell it when it is in gear.
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

*shrugs*

I know... My dad used to be an electrician and a mechanic... He cant figure it out either.

The car only starts in gear, with or without the clutch. Its really strange.

Comment

Well, it could be worse :lol:

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Well, it could be worse :lol:
            How does that starting the car with the clutch engaged work out? :shock: Sorry but that struck me as funny. :wink:

This issue really doesn't make any sense at all man. The only thing I can think of is that here is some bass ackwards way that the auto trans inhibitor circuits are somehow causing this. Perhaps try removing the inhibitor relay up in the engine bay????

I will leave this to someone who has done this conversion for some real feedback.

Best of luck on this one man.
            Attached Files
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

isn't there a seperate contol box for the auto tranny. if there is have you tried removing it?

i'm not sure about auto Z's. but it seems like every auto japanese car has a seperate control box for the auto. just unhook it.

and on the manual tranny the only hook ups are the reverse light switch and speedo cable or wiring depending on the year. theres no way for the car to know what gear you are in, or if you are starting it with the clutch in or out.

Comment

84z31 wrote: isn't there a seperate contol box for the auto tranny. if there is have you tried removing it?

i'm not sure about auto Z's. but it seems like every auto japanese car has a seperate control box for the auto. just unhook it.

and on the manual tranny the only hook ups are the reverse light switch and speedo cable or wiring depending on the year. theres no way for the car to know what gear you are in, or if you are starting it with the clutch in or out.
                I think there is a separate control box for it, but its not hooked up to anything on the tranny. Ill try removing it tomorrow, but first Ill try OR-Zman's idea and remove the relay.

I dont think the car knows whether or not the clutch is in or not.

Comment

Welp, I tried taking out the relay... no effect. I tried unplugging that control unit, no effect again. I even tried taking the fuse out of the fuse box for the control unit... still no effect...

Any other ideas?

Comment

Did you do this???

http://web.archive.org/web/200505050527 ... iew.pl?170
                    " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
                    LaterZ

Comment

RedBeauty84ZX wrote: Did you do this???

http://web.archive.org/web/200505050527 ... iew.pl?170
                      Yes, actually... thats the exact guide I followed.

Comment

*Bump*

My inspection is up at the end of January, so I need to get this fixed soon. I don't think itll pass a Pennsylvania inspection if it only starts in gear...

Any suggestions?

Comment

They check how your car starts?

Have you tried bypassing different wires that went to the auto trans?

Comment

ok, do this. go out to the car and see if the reverse light comes on when you put the car in gear. i somehow imagine that your park lock swtich is getting grounded by the reverse light switch in the transmission.
                            Funny stories!

Comment

withen reason, a manual car will not start in gear unless you pop the clutch going down a hill

also only thing that seems to relate to your situation from the link above

. If you look at the plug that is physically attached to the wires going to the inhibitor switch the 8 wires are Red/black, Black/Yellow, Black/white, Black/blue, Red, White, Yellow and Blue. We are only interested in three of them they are Red/Black Black/Yellow and Black/white.

The red/black is a ground. For starting the Black/Yellow must be grounded(connected to the R/B) however whenever this wire is grounded the cruse control is disabled. If you have a BWT5 5spd or later model Nissan 5spd with a neutral switch just connect these 2 wires to the neutral switch on the tranny.

Now car starts with tranny in neutral and cruise works when car in gear.
                              Now connect the same B/R and the B/W wires to the reverse switch in the tranny and now your backup lights come on when ign is on and tranny is in reverse. Don't worry about order of 2 wires to neural switch or reverse switch as the switches just connect the 2 leads together when in the proper gear.

Comment

Working...
                              X