X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting flywheel/clutch/pressure plate interchangability

info found and copied from this adress.
    http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=152417

I just want to share with you guys what I found after a couple months of doing research through Nissan OEM parts and other interchangeable Nissan parts.

Later last year I visited my friend, who has several RB20, RB25 and RB26 engines in his shop and did some research that lead me to gather the following setup.

I learned that all RB20DET engines and early RB25DET engines share the same flywheel, consisting of a 240mm surface area. The flywheel of the early RB26DETT is a little bit different in thickness, but still is interchangeable between all of the above mentioned engines and also uses the exact same pressure plate as the 20 & 25 DETs, which happens to be the same as the one found in the 1982-1983 280ZX Turbo L28ET and 1984-1986 300ZX Turbo VG30ET. Then I compared the stock KA24DE flywheel to them, and they are completely interchangeable between all the aforementioned engines. Everything aligns perfectly, the starter to ring spacing is also perfect, and even the pilot hole aligns perfectly to the crankshaft.

Then I decided to do a search on lightweight billet chromoly flywheels and found that Gordon Duax sells these flywheels for the RB20DET engine, so I decided to purchase one, exactly like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... earch.ebay .com%3A80%2F190004506512_W0QQfromZR40QQfviZ1&item= 190004506512. The construction of the flywheel is outstanding. It is made in Japan from a single piece of billet chromoly, and it is a lot lighter compared to the stock flywheel. There are other companies that sell those flywheels, but without any doubts, the best deal around is offered by Gordon.

During the time of deciding which 240mm pressure plate brand I should buy (ACT, Nismo, Cusco, Exedy, etc.) another friend bought, for his SR engine, a JWT flywheel and clutch system who uses a 250mm pressure plate from a 350Z/G35 and ask him to lend me his 250mm pressure plate, so I could compare it to the RB bolt pattern. To my surprise the bolt pattern is identical to the RB, and for an even greater surprise, the flywheel that I have has the exact same contact surface to accommodate the 250mm friction area with no problems. Knowing all this I decide to purchase an ACT pressure plate for the 350Z/G35 and use a 6 puck sprung carbotic disc for the 350Z/G35.

As a side note, I also have several friends running 350Zs with the Greddy TT setup, and they are already producing over 500 ft/lbs of torque using that same ACT pressure plate, with no problems. The carbotic material has a higher coefficient of friction compared to the organic and even to the "common" metallic material aka bronze. Due to the higher coefficient of friction the engagement is quick and sharp. Then I proceeded to install the setup using a set of RB26DETT flywheel to crank bolts, which are a little bit longer with a new 350Z/G35 release bearing.

A few weeks ago I talked to Gordon and told him about my findings and took the opportunity to ask him about his stock of RB flywheels. Right now he has a few left on hand, including a Tomei and another one from an unknown brand. My guess is that these flywheels are going to start selling fast as Gordon has included in another of his auctions the KA24 application.

Basically, the ingredients to build what I think is the ultimate single disc clutch system for the KA24DE engine are the following:

- Flywheel from a RB20DET engines or early RB25DET or early RB26DETT or better still use an aftermarket flywheel from the previously mentioned engines (like the one pictured below and like the ones that Gordon sells) that don't have the defined groove between the friction surface and pressure plate area. If your flywheel has that groove then the disc will not use all the contact area.

- Use a pressure plate, disc and throw out bearing from a Nissan 350Z/G35. Depending of what your goal is, you must decide which route to go. Whether you need a stock setup or a racing setup, is up to your goals and expectations. A stock OEM setup is good to around 350 ft/lbs of torque. Wanting more than that then you should start thinking better pressure plate and better disc material. Like always, the "trade off" is increased pedal pressure and crisper engagement.

- Preferably use the flywheel to crank bolts from a Skyline GTR, as they are about 3mm longer, which compensates for the flywheel thickness.

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

idk im skeptical that nissan uses the same flywheel on almost all of its major engines
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
    Parting Currently:
    86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
    Garage Sale

Comment

given that most of them are probably different weights, use different clamping force, and different material... that doesn't seem all that unreasonable. someone skeptical myself but yeah that'd be interesting.
      Daily:
      09 2.5SL Altima Grey
      08 4.0SE Pathfinder 4x4 Grey
      11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
      Z31s:
      88t Grey
      86t Pewter

Comment

You could always go to a parts store and have them pull the parts and compare yourself. I'm sure you can find one that has flywheels for the ka24de, and both the 240 and 250mm z31 flywheels.

Comment

benedict-

That is a lot of info and a lot of work man. Thanks, I think...

Can you brake this down into some specifics that directly relate to the Z31 for us?

I can see some possible crossover parts matching and benefit here, but thinking about it all right now is giving me a headache. I think you may have some good nuggets of info there but its a bit tough to follow cleanly.
          Just stand back and throw money.
          Performance costs money.
          Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Ditto

Comment

The info I'm picking up from this article:

ACT has a lightweight flywheel for the z31, and is the same for both the 240 and 250mm clutches.

The guy compared the z31 BW T-5 (240mm) flywheel to the others he mentioned (rb20, 25, 26, ka24de, l28et) and determined them to be interchangable

The setup he recommends at the end would theoretically be able to be applied to the z31s, allowng more variety of clutch types and brands, including aftermarket flywheels and clutches and pressure plates for the 350z.

Comment

bmanz-

I don't disagree with what you extracted from that. I got the same basic impression.

However, with this type of interchangeability I really want to nail down the specifics so that there is no question as to what is interchangeable and what is not.

If I know one thing, I know this. If something about compatibility between parts/vehicles can be misinterpreted then it will be. These are not low dollar throw away parts so I want to make sure we are all completely understanding exactly what Benedict's findings were here an how the Z31 community can benefit from them.
                Just stand back and throw money.
                Performance costs money.
                Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: bmanz-

I don't disagree with what you extracted from that. I got the same basic impression.

However, with this type of interchangeability I really want to nail down the specifics so that there is no question as to what is interchangeable and what is not.

If I know one thing, I know this. If something about compatibility between parts/vehicles can be misinterpreted then it will be. These are not low dollar throw away parts so I want to make sure we are all completely understanding exactly what Benedict's findings were here an how the Z31 community can benefit from them.
                  I'd have to ckeck through the kits to be sure, but I'm 99% sure if you checked clutch kits, the alignment tool is the same in most, if not all, of them. Not to mention some relationship among the throwout bearings and individual part numbers.

Point on the flywheel, look at the MSA website and it lists only one aluminum flywheel for the z31 to cover all the transmission, both 240 and 250mm clutch surfaces. If the flywheel has the same bolt pattern and inner hole diameter it will mount to the crank. For the clutch, as long as it mates to the input shaft, the TO bearing fits input shaft, and pressure plate is secured, it will work too.

Read through the original and look through the pictures

Comment

I did not generate these findings on my own. I simply stumbled across them and noted it can be applied to the Z31. I linked the posts original location in my first post.

No I will not break it down for you. The information is there. All you have to do is comprehend and retain it.

As for being absolutely sure what will work and what will not...take the time to find out. The guy who generated the information thus far spent a lot of hours mixing and matching. He was lucky enough to have acces to all these parts though friends.

Yes these parts cost money. Will you know for sure that the combination you envision will work and if it does that you will like the end result? Not unless you try it...which costs money. If you can't afford it then quit dreaming and buy a proven kit from ACT or Excedy. The Z31 community's fear of thinking outside the box and spending money is increasingly irritating.

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

Comment

I've heard of this before, specifically in SCC when they used a Maxima (250mm) disk on a red-top SR20. Also a friend of mine was pretty sure his S13 KA24DE clutch looked quite a bit like his old R32 clutch.

Comment

So, they have some OS giken twin and tripple plate used R32 clutches on ebay right now. This is the whole kit, If I am gathering the info correctly then the R32 flywheel will bolt to the z31 crank? If so then the r32 OS giken clutch would be the same as the z31 OS giken clutch. Or did I just completely mix up info and the r32 flywheel is only good on the ka24de engine and NOT the z31?

I do know for a fact that the spline count on the BW T-5 tranny and the 87-89 turbo tranny are the same. When I switched trannies I did not change any part of the clutch system and it all bolted up fine.
                        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

all i could gather from that is that the z31 pressure plate is the same as the rb pp , but not sure about the flywheel thing.
                          Attached Files

Comment

some of it is incorrect, a friend of mine running an rb25det in his s13 was looking to see if he could use a z31 flywheel, being they are both a 6 bolt pattern, but there's a differance in shape, for instance there is an inner collar on the rb25s flywheel, but there isn't one to be found on the z31s.

the acual friction areas are the same, which is the reason he'll be using a DXD 240mm clutch for a z31, but found that the fidanza for the z31 would not work.

I also forgot to note that if you check with fidanza, there are different part numbers for the r33 rb25 flywheel and the Z31s, it doesnt match 240mm or 250mm.
                            Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

Comment

this is exactly why this post is useless.... unless we have confirmed facts and written out in an interchange chart, this thread won't help anyone

Comment

Working...
                              X