counterweighted shifter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• counterweighted shifter?

i bought a short shifter for my car. i also spotted a nissan direct fit counterweighted shift knob.

has anyone used one of these. its about $30.00 cost to me.

what are your thoughts on it?

What the hell is a counterweighted shift knob? What is its function? To counter the weight of what exactly? I dont get it.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

to help you throw the shifter easier from gear to gear.

go stick an 8 ball on your shifter.

and they looked cool. shiny. damn the shiney stuff. i can't stop myself. :lol:

http://www.mimousafiles.com/prods/2175_b.jpg

heres the description

Greddy Counter-Weighted Shift Knob
      Originally designed for TRUST/GREX sequential transmissions. Now, you too can feel the comfort and precision of our billet, CNC shift knobs. The OEM style screw type mounting makes installation simple and secure. The traditional knobs offer excellent comfort for both side and overhand grips. The counter-weighted shift knobs are engineered to be twice as heavy for a even better feel for hard shifts. While the super light knobs are a must for when weight and extreme climites are a concern.
      GReddy brings true high performance to your manual transmission shifter. Being twice as heavy as most conventional shift knobs, allows for an easier lighter touch for shifts and a more precise shifting feel. (13.5oz) It has a classic black-chrome finish and comes with three different colored shift badges (standard 5-speed pattern)

Comment

hmmm.

30 bucks?

not too bad I guess. Try it and see how it goes.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

i think i will, next paycheck. they are a dirct bolt on affair and don't look to bad.

Comment

My next mod

Comment

sweet

i was thinking the 8 ball :lol:

Comment

z

Comment

hey 84, I JUST ordered one of those on ebay last week for 40 shipped, I'll have it Friday and I can tell you how I like it. My friend has a weighted ball on his honda and I can say from driving it a little that a weighted knob makes a pretty sweet difference as far as just kind of 'dropping' it into gear. He recommended getting the heaviest thing I could find so I got one of those. from the looks of it, cheap, name brand, heavy, not too bad looking... final review to come.
                  Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
                  I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
                  Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

Am I the only one who hates short throw and balanced shifters? I don't know about you guys, but I feel like i'm going to break those tiny little short throw shifters. I like a good long throw that requires me to move my entire arm. I like having a lightweight shift knob that allows me to feel every vibration that my engine and transmission makes.

I've driven a lot of z31's with a lot of different shift knobs. I've driven all of the Z31 trannies with the exception of the autoboxes and I can honestly say that my best shifting experience was with an 87 N/A with the stock shifter and shift knob.
                    Funny stories!

Comment

nothing beats the feel of a good B&M sport precision shifter
                      Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
                      I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
                      Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

I dont' know if I like short shifters. The trans needs that time in between.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

1artworkz wrote: My next mod

rofl

Comment

1artworkz wrote: My next mod

Now THAT is counterweighting
                            2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

homestar wrote: Am I the only one who hates short throw and balanced shifters? I don't know about you guys, but I feel like i'm going to break those tiny little short throw shifters. I like a good long throw that requires me to move my entire arm. I like having a lightweight shift knob that allows me to feel every vibration that my engine and transmission makes.

I've driven a lot of z31's with a lot of different shift knobs. I've driven all of the Z31 trannies with the exception of the autoboxes and I can honestly say that my best shifting experience was with an 87 N/A with the stock shifter and shift knob.
                              To each his own I suppose. :shock:

Personally I wouldn't trade my B&M for anything. I tried 2 different cheap units and they are now in a landfill. :shock:

Counterweighted- I don't know about the accuracy of that term, but the knob I finally decided I liked the best is very heavy, possibly 2x the weight of the other 2-3 I tried. It is pretty much solid metal with a bit of fabric and form style that fits my hand well. I noticed a significant difference in how it feels over a couple lighter knobs I tried out. (they are in the landfill now also) At $15 a shot its worth it to me to find a knob I really liked.

btw- there are pics in my www below if you are curious.
                              Just stand back and throw money.
                              Performance costs money.
                              Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Working...
                              X