How much torque can an N/A trans handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much torque can an N/A trans handle

I sold my FS5R90A and I'm having a moral debate. I originally sold it to upgrade to a FS5R30A, but I am short on cash and i'd really just like to get my Z back on the road. I found a good deal on an N/A trans and I was thinking that maybe i could just swap that in so that I have something to drive.

How much torqe can you put through the n/a trans before you break it? I'm shooting for about 250whp (so maybe like 300-320 lbs of peak tq at the crank) by the summer and I was wondering if that is realistic with that trans?
    Funny stories!

That is certainly within the realm of reason. I don't have any specific numbers or instances to share with you. But I have yet to hear of a 71C failing due to "too much power".
    Attached Files
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

the last 71C i had failed and shredded every gear but 4th at 115MPH! it only had 94,000 miles on it and this was when my car was an n/a

granted I was going 115 for over an hour, but it still shouldn't have shredded like that
      Funny stories!

Comment

homestar wrote: I sold my FS5R90A and I'm having a moral debate. I originally sold it to upgrade to a FS5R30A, but I am short on cash and i'd really just like to get my Z back on the road. I found a good deal on an N/A trans and I was thinking that maybe i could just swap that in so that I have something to drive.

How much torqe can you put through the n/a trans before you break it? I'm shooting for about 250whp (so maybe like 300-320 lbs of peak tq at the crank) by the summer and I was wondering if that is realistic with that trans?
        Uh, deffinatly. I havnt seen anyone break it from too much torque. Maybe abuse but deffinatly not 300ft/lbs.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I'd say after 350ft/lbs is the breaking point for the 90A. So, that's about 300hp.
          [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
          [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
          2000 Porsche Boxster
          2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

z

Comment

lets not compare the t-5 to the 71c, lets instead see where the 240sx guys are breaking them since they use the same trans minus bellhousing

I see 350-400hp before they start complaining, it's sufficiently strong, sure it has weaknesses most trannys do, but a good tight rebuild and playing nicely should be all you need

trying not to induce shock with a shitty clutch and not jamming it into gears power shifting is probably wise

Comment

You should be fine. The transmission's lifespan with increased load depends largely on the clutch being used, and your personal driving habits. As GE noted, 240SX guys use them with good results.

If you want a good T5 I do have a spare sitting around... I will sell it to you for $75+sh, just say the words.

Comment

I shredded 3rd gear with about 320ftlbs. I didnt beat on it either. It'll probably hold and its a lot easier to get ahold of another one if it does go.

Comment

Working...
                  X