Differences between r200 and r200A?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between r200 and r200A?

Searching yielded no technical differences between the two. After searching around and finding that there are some 4X4 front diffs available which would fit in our "z31 proprietary" r200 rears with minimal mods I have renewed interest. Problem is they never really says what these mods are nor do they list any differences which would explain why modification is necessary. Any help here?

I know there are a few on here who have made this same discovery many moons ago but I'm trying to renew interest

Buzzword: "Calmini" or "Brute Force"

You must be speaking of the front VLSD R200A's that some 4x4 Pathfinders come with.

I would think that the only modification needed would be taking the VLSD unit out of the solid axle setup, swapping ring gears with the Z31 unit, and then putting the VLSD unit into the Z31 pumpkin.

I would caution that the Z31 halfshafts may not fit the VLSD unit, where such is the case with the Infinity Q45 R200 VLSDs.
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

bemis wrote: You must be speaking of the front VLSD R200A's that some 4x4 Pathfinders come with.
      No Nissan truck I know of has ever had a VLSD in the front (or rear for that matter).

The R200A is a totally different housing but the internals are very close. You can use an ARB locker or calmini modified CLSD in an R200. I forget exactly where on the unit they do the machining, but its for clearance. IE you should not have any issue with any R200A center section in an R200. Also, Calmini takes a stock Z31 lsd and modifies it for the R200A.

As for shafts I believe there is no difference. I know the splines are the same. Actually now that I think about it, it may be the output gears that get machined for the difference in shafts.
      http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

OK, lotta good info there. I did read that the unit is a modified z31 CLSD unit which is why I find this so desirable, no axle stupidity to deal with. I was exploring the 240sx VLSD option prices wise. I am exploring the option of splicing a z31 outer portion 4-bolt axle to the s13/s14 5 or 6 bolt inner stub to create a hybrid axle. Considering the widespread availablitiy of these LSD's plus the ease of unbolting an axle from both sides it is an attractive option. Custom axle pricing will not be cheap, but we'll see what I come up with after exhausting all my old parts store contacts and machine shop buddies. I'm hoping to keep it under $400 for the pair, and have them built to stronger specs as well. :wink:

Comment

VLSD isn't real popular for trucks due to having to have movement before it engages. Not to say it isn't better than open, but not what most desire. My open front will probably stay open till I swap to a D44. As is, it never fails me unless I am WAY beyond what I should be doing. The trucks limitation is front articulation, not traction.

But you're talking for in a Z.... Ehh there is some info on swapping VLSD's into em around here somewhere.

Comment

Steve88t wrote: No Nissan truck I know of has ever had a VLSD in the front (or rear for that matter).
            Your right about no VLSDs in the trucks. I was thinking of the H233B in the 1994 Pathfinder, which is a CLSD.

This uses a 233mm ring gear, but it may be possible to transplant the clutch unit into R200 guts.
            [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
            [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
            2000 Porsche Boxster
            2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

Oh I wish. I have one on the bench right now. It is even beefier than the r200 unit. Plus it is just simply too large for the casing.

The truck community suffers greatly from a lack of lsd/locker options up front. ARB makes very nice air lockers for the r180 and r200 (and all rear axles) but they are $700+. Calmini modifies a stock z31 clsd to fit up there, but it is $500+. Lockright or Detriot "made" a unit for the r200a, but has discontinued them years ago. They pop up very rarely and go for $300ish. Just a little more than they were new. It litteraly can be cheaper to put a dana 44 with a lockright under the front of a truck than to pay for a commercial solution.

Sorry, I don't have a picture of the whole thing asembled.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X