Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Trans Swap

Question:

My car is up in the air as I work on the NA2T parts swap. Pulled the tranny and discovered it was shot (ok, I kind of expected it based on performance).

What is the benefit to swapping in the turbo tranny, and will there be any other parts that need to be put in to accomodate it? Anything special that I need to do before the install to make sure everything matches up?

What are the benefits to just sticking with another, rebuilt, NA tranny instead?

wich tranny are you planning to swap?

84-86 turbo
    87-89 turbo

??

you'll need to use the driveshaft from the turbo tranny and the companion flange.. correct me if i'm wrong, im doing the same swap (tranny)
    1987 300zx, VG33, Manual, Megasquirt, 450cc, T04,Tial 44mm External WG, ebay IC, crushed dsm blowoff, Apexi AVC-R at 15psi, efan, 3" exhaust with dynomax muffler, LSD.

Comment

I drive an 86NA, I'm doing the NA2T parts swap with parts from an 86T.

The reason I don't want to rebuild my existing is that it costs significantly more to do so than it does to buy a rebuilt or slightly used unit. I don't know about some of the swaps that get done, but mine is on a fairly reasonable (and tight) budget that didn't include a transmission replacement at the outset. Also, since it's my daily driver, I'm incurring rental car charges daily. Rebuild of my existing tranny is not an option out here in Los Angeles.

I have the option to buy an 84-86NA rebuilt, 87-89NA rebuilt, 84-86T rebuilt, 87-89T rebuilt. I don't want to create a new project by lengthening driveshafts or buying new shifters, etc. I want a strong tranny, but will definitely choose a straight replacement (86NA rebuilt) if that's the easiest and most cost effective install, and will work with the swap.

Let me know.

Comment

Mike, thanks for the details and the links. I'm getting some useful info from them, but your explanation helped a lot.

Because of the lack of good shops out here, the pricing on rebuilds is insane. I can buy any of the above 4 tranny types (new rebuilds) for about $400.00, but to rebuild my existing would cost >$1000. Until I win the lottery, I think I'm going to stick with a rebuilt 71C.

Comment

Actually since your using a 86NA that means you have the FS5R90A transmission, which is also known as the Borg-Warner T-5. Since my last post concerned the FS5R30A and FS5W71C, It was pretty much useless for your application. That transmission is pretty weak. Luckily its a common transmission, with versions of it being used in mustangs and other vehicles. That means its easy to replace, rebuild, or make stronger.
          If you can get a 87-89T trans for $400 and can spare that cash, I would do it. Post in the Classifieds section for a drive shaft and shifter or check out the J/Y's. I here California has a lot of Z's lying in the yards...
          Do some searching!

-Mike
          "produce first.talk second."

Comment

Mike_GruiZinga wrote: Actually since your using a 86NA that means you have the FS5R90A transmission, which is also known as the Borg-Warner T-5.

-Mike
            Sorry to bust your balls Mike, but all NA's have the 71C, including 86NA.

Here is the list for you MaximumQ:
            Strongest: 30A (87T-89T)
            2nd: 71C (all NA)
            3rd: 90A aka. T5 (84T-86T)

Please keep in mind not all NA's use same driveshaft flange. So stay with your 86NA, it's strong enough.
            Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

Doh! Well my balls are busted. Sorry about that; My mistake!

And to think...That information was in the link i had just posted ops:

Comment

simply86T wrote:
                Strongest: 30A (87T-89T)
                2nd: 71C (all NA)
                3rd: 90A aka. T5 (84T-86T)

Please keep in mind not all NA's use same driveshaft flange. So stay with your 86NA, it's strong enough.
                Where did you come up with that info? I believe this is a common internet misconception. The t5 is a very strong tranny, and I would take it over the others. I have yet to have one break from my wife's car with lots of road racing, to 400rwhp car that a customer has.

Also, good luck rebuilding a 30a. Nissan does not carry all the parts, and if it moves, it will wear like anything else. A high milage 30a will need lots of replacement parts, and the only way to get them is switching the internals out as a whole with a 30a from a truck, which is different from the z.
                Chuck Stong
                300+ Parts and Performance owner
                http://www.300-plus.com
                2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Firehawk wrote: A high milage 30a will need lots of replacement parts, and the only way to get them is switching the internals out as a whole with a 30a from a truck, which is different from the z.
                  [Qoute=simply86T]
                  And I 2nd the "good luck" on 30A.[/qoute]

Am I missing a post here?

I thought he wants to rebuild/buy a rebuilt 71C...A few other Nissans share versions of that transmission, making it much easier to rebuild than the 30a.

[Quote=Firehawk]
                  The t5 is a very strong tranny, and I would take it over the others. [/qoute]

You would take a T5 over a 30A? Thats a bold statement. Never have i heard someone comment on the T5 so highly..

-Mike
                  Attached Files

Comment

I vote to stick with the 71c until you start ripping teeth off the gears with torque. Unless youre doing that then the 71c is a nice, light, easy to find transmission.

Comment

Follow-up: I bought the rebuild 71C on Thursday, had it delivered Friday and installed on Saturday. My friend is working putting the engine back in at his shop today, so she should be ready in another day or so after tweaking.

Thanks for the info and for the discussion, guys. I'll let you know how she pulls.

Comment

a lot of people that i talk to in the mustang and camaro circles say the same thing about the T5, it's a good box, but there's kind of an unspoken 300ft-lbs of torque limit
                        Funny stories!

Comment

homestar wrote: a lot of people that i talk to in the mustang and camaro circles say the same thing about the T5, it's a good box, but there's kind of an unspoken 300ft-lbs of torque limit
                          there's a reason they came out with the variants like the 3550 and TKO

Comment

Working...
                          X