half shaft question ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• half shaft question ?

Hi , so I was wondering if I could swap some half shaft from a z31 turbo (84-86)on my z31 86 n/a , i know i have the tripod type on my n/a and would like to put some birfield double offset ones , I know also that I need the companion flange of the turbo too , but the question is will this all fit in my n/a 3.7:1 n/a diff and my n/a suspension arms , Any ideas why nissan put some different type of half shaft in the rear? Thanks
    1986 GLL VQ35DE(287hp) / Z33 6S tranny, done!
    Black 240sx 1997 (ka24de)5S daily driver.

z

Comment

Swapping those rear axle stubs is easier said than done. It's a 30MM nut with a crush sleeve between the wheel bearings... check your FSM.

Comment

z

Comment

zmech wrote: Getting the nut off is a pain but if you have the proper power tools all is good. A GOOD impact will take off the nut and an air hammer with center punch attachment will drive out the stub axle if needed. It will take off the flange at the same time. You can use the air hammer to put it back in also. Very quick and easy.
          Recheck your FSM for torque procedure :cry:

Comment

z

Comment

thanks for the inputs guy , I have done the work last week , and it was not that bad , of course I Had a impact gun , and a steering puller to remove the companion flanges, The 30 mm nuts as to be torqued to 217-289 ft-lbs .

And does anyone know why nissan did put different axle on the n/a vs the turbo models.
              1986 GLL VQ35DE(287hp) / Z33 6S tranny, done!
              Black 240sx 1997 (ka24de)5S daily driver.

Comment

z

Comment

no the bolt pattern is entirely within the hub and is interchangable afaik

the only thing is the turbo/non-turbo.... and even then we can ask why...was a non-turbo halfshaft that much cheaper to make??

Comment

hijack:

would the NA sub assembly cups (diff side, "housing sub-assembly") (pg.RA-7 in the FSM) bolt up to a clutch LSD?

ive read jasons page regarding the LSD half shaft interchangability and it states "ALL Z31 half-shafts spline in to the differential in exactly the same way, hence that are all compatible with the LSD."

does this ONLY apply to the sub assembly cups..... or the half shaft spline count WITH the turbo joint assembly cups?
                    (pg.RA-12 "joint assembly" in the FSM)

they look to be different designs, and i have a 85T with the open diff, so im not exactly shure if i should hack the cups and half shafts if i swapped a CLSD into my '88 with an +87 CLSD... if the tripod sub assembly cups apply to all year turbos.. :?

** would be using a NA shaft and flange, 71C trans

p.s. turbo shafts considered "stonger" than N/A, why? higher bolt grade? N/As' use 6 bolts compared to the 4bolt turbo stubs...

pros & cons regarding half shafts, N/A vs T

Comment

Working...
                    X