Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans problems?

some problems:

my trans will grind (not badly, but it will) when i shift 3rd hard...i recently changed my trans fuild with moble 70 90 synthetic...then my clutch slave cylinder went and so i got one from the junk yard... and now 2nd gear grinds the same way as 3rd....? is it the clutch slave cylinder..is it my trans oil?...or is it the clutch itself becasue its gonna need replacing soon... starting to slip... and i and driving correctly..(pushing the clutch in all the way...)

2nd gear grind is pretty common on the Z31, as well as most cars in the world, over time. It gets more in/out shifting action than the other gears overall.

3rd gear isn't that common, but if you do a lot of mid speed driving then I guess it would make sense.

A re-man slave cylinder is about $30. I would definitely do that. How many miles on the clutch and flywheel?

What type of synthetic oil are you using? I tried Castrol at one point and noticed that 2nd wanted to grind easier for some reason. (on a rebuilt trans) I drained it and went with Red Line and the difference was enormous.
    Just stand back and throw money.
    Performance costs money.
    Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Is it GL5? I hear we aren't supposed to use that stuff.

I put it some Motul GL5 super fancy shmancy stuff. It made the grinding from 1st-2nd slightly worse.

So I went to the parts store and found some good ol sta-lube GL-4 and a some power punch gear oil and my grinding has disappeared.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Is it GL5?.
        whats gl5?

OR-Zman wrote:
        many miles on the clutch and flywheel?

What type of synthetic oil are you using? I tried Castrol at one point and noticed that 2nd wanted to grind easier for some reason. (on a rebuilt trans) I drained it and went with Red Line and the difference was enormous.
        i used mobil 70 90. where can i get redline?

Comment

http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?Us ... e+Cylinder

go to autozone and spend the 15 bucks for a new slave cylinder.. why the fuck would anyone go to the junkyard for a slave cylinder... after that take it to a qualified mechanic, have him install it, and have him bleed the clutch properly.

Comment

[quote]TurboZkid wrote:
            Originally posted by MrwassmanNA2T
            Is it GL5?.
            whats gl5?

OR-Zman wrote:
            Originally posted by MrwassmanNA2T
            many miles on the clutch and flywheel?

i used mobil 70 90. where can i get redline?
            Gear oils have different properties and they are identified by gl4, gl5, etc. Always check the manual to see what oil a part needs. Redline is all I use in my trannies.
            Chuck Stong
            300+ Parts and Performance owner
            http://www.300-plus.com
            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Anyone tried Royal Purple in their tranny? Because it's sold at O'Reilly and Napa, and I believe it's also cheaper than Redline.
              Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

I have, and the rp is not as good as the redline, which is why redline is all I use.
                Chuck Stong
                300+ Parts and Performance owner
                http://www.300-plus.com
                2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
                X