Just picked up my R200 CLSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked up my R200 CLSD

I drove over 500 miles (one way) to pick it up. Now, that is either dedication or some kind of disorder?

It's out of an '88 Turbo 5-speed ( jn1cz14s6jx202115 ). But the one thing that caught my eye was the information on the model plate that lists the (typical for 87-89) FS5R30A transmission, and the differential code RC35 which I believe to be a 3:54 gear ratio. I thought that all 87-89 Turbo's had the RC37 code for the 3:70 gear ratio??? I'm not complaining, because I would rather have the 3:54 over the 3:70 and hopefully don't have to purchase a new speedometer gear or swap the pinion/ring gears from the old differential.

I found THIS information on z31.com: "Some models may have the wrong diff for their model year, for example, it's been reported that early production date 87 turbos might still have the differential that came with the 84-86 turbos. To be sure of what differential your car came with originally, look at the model plate under the hood. If your car originally came with a 3.54 diff, it'll say RC35 somewhere, 3.7 diff will say RC37, and a 3.9 diff will say RC39". I'll be taking the cover off this week and inspecting everything per the FSM (and count the teeth). Just wondering if anyone else has come across this?

Here it is:

A lot nicer than my original:

congrats on finding a clutch type LSD.
    ive bid on like 10 of these on ebay over time and have always been outbid, im so bummed, i'll never get my hands on one of these.ive seen some people pay 800US$ for a used one.

SKOLJACK I drove over 500 miles (one way) to pick it up. Now, that is either dedication or some kind of disorder?

i would do the same thing if i want guaranteed one.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/onefast87

Comment

I bought mine with one. 8)
      '87T

Comment

Sweet, I learned something new today. Good find by the way

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

onefast87 wrote: ive seen some people pay 800US$ for a used one
          and you can get a new nismo one for like $825
          or a quaife for $2000 :shock:
          Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
          Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

Comment

Matt89 wrote: and you can get a new nismo one for like $825
            or a quaife for $2000 :shock:
            Point me to a new R200 LSD for $825 and I will send you a 10% finders fee.

Quaife difffs are expensive but not that much.
            http://www.manufacturersdepot.com/s.nl/ ... gory.75/.f

That was the best price I could find in 5 minutes. Actually the last time I looked I remember it being $1500, but whatever. Lower is better.
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: Point me to a new R200 LSD for $825 and I will send you a 10% finders fee.
              How about one for $450? do I get 20%? I know exactly where to find a r200 lsd unit for that amount. Of course it isnt nismo, but who cares it is rebuildable. PM me if interested.
              Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
              Originally posted by BoostedMamma
              Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

^um...no. The discussion was about NEW differentials.

If I wanted one that needed rebuilt I would make a couple phone calls and have one once the local scrap yards do their searching and pay them a 20% finder fee and support a local business man. Or I could drive 2.5 hours and get one at a Z yard, pull it myself and pay a guy I really don't want to give any business due to his unscrupulous practices in the past.

When buy an LSD it will he a Quaife. Not there yet but the time WILL come.
                Just stand back and throw money.
                Performance costs money.
                Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Is there interested in a group buy of Quaife differencials?

Why not buy a new Quaife LSD for only a little more than a rebuilt unit. Why not buy the best unit when they can be had for a little more than the Nismo unit? Why buy the second best when the best are available? If you can afford to spend $8-900 for Nismo, why not spend between $11-1200 for the Quaife unit

Who would be interested in buying a Quaife LSD, part of a group buy at a substantial savings? I for one am planning to rebuild my rear end with a Quaife LSD, the final step before repainting this 3 year rebuild project. After all of the other modifications there is no way I am not going to put a new LSD onto this 1986NA.
                  What, me worry? It just takes a little time, patience and thought!

Comment

group buy on a quaife would be nice. I would be in if the price break was decent.
                    Chuck Stong
                    300+ Parts and Performance owner
                    http://www.300-plus.com
                    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

OR-Zman wrote:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/ ... imitedslip

Comment

^^^^ Ready to pay up that finder's fee?

I will be going with a Nismo unit when i have the cash.

Comment

my paypal is mailto:zracer@ec.rr.com

jk :lol:

there is probably ones alot cheaper than the nismo.

Comment

[quote]Matt89 wrote:
                            Originally posted by OR-Zman

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/ ... imitedslip
                            $835= you lose
                            imagination is a virtue

Comment

I found a manufacturer out of California that was making new units for around $650 if I remember correctly. I posted it on z31.com, but since they switched to the new board format I haven't been able to find that post. Oh well.
                              1984 NA to T Digi-Dash, Morgan's Cam Gears @ -3, Team Green Air Filter, Top Mount Intercooler, Turbo XS Boost Controller, Greddy Type RS BOV, CM 3" Down Pipe, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, and Maxima E-Fans.

1984 NA 2+2 - New Project Solid Axle Rear - Former Best 1/4 mile 13.452 @105.77mph.

Comment

Working...
                              X