Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto tranny not shifting into overdrive till warm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto tranny not shifting into overdrive till warm.

Not to finalliar with my 1988 300zx na since I just bought it. I just started using it to go to work this morning for the first time. It wasn't that cold out but at least 40-45 degrees. This is the first time driving it cold. After about a mile I notice it wasn't shifting into overdrive. Well, I had the overdrive button off. So I press the botton while doing 55 mph and she didn't shift. I hit a stop sign after about 2 miles and with the OD on got up to speed and she shifted fine after that. It almost seen as the tranny warmed up it was fine. My question is, is this common for the auto or could I have a sensor problem? Tranny shifts fine any other time.

1988 Nissan 300zx (Improving it one day at a time)

This is not a problem. It is the way Nissan designed it.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Steve88t wrote: This is not a problem. It is the way Nissan designed it.
      I kind of figured, but not knowing anything about the car I was kind of worried. Thank you for putting me at ease.

1988 Nissan 300zx (Improving it one day at a time)

Comment

Perfect!!

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

I love automatics but I hated that part of it.
          Black 1986 300zx Turbo coupe (Chuki)
          http://z31performance.com/showthread...86-Turbo-Coupe
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Pewter 1986 300zx N/A 2 Turbo 2+2 (Chuki)
          http://z31performance.com/showthread...9;s-1986-300zx

Comment

Nobody seems to have noted the reason for this...
            slippage of the TC and staying in lower gears builds heat, heat is good for faster warmup = less overall wear = longer lifespan.

Comment

or when you have a stupid transmission you brake+gas a bit every stop sign/light and that warms it too, but aerates a tad too

Comment

G-E wrote: or when you have a stupid transmission you brake+gas a bit every stop sign/light and that warms it too, but aerates a tad too
                i like your word choice for automatics. I used to call them sludge boxes but you just forever changed that.
                Funny stories!

Comment

[quote]homestar wrote:
                  Originally posted by G-E
                  or when you have a stupid transmission you brake+gas a bit every stop sign/light and that warms it too, but aerates a tad too
                  i like your word choice for automatics. I used to call them sludge boxes but you just forever changed that.
                  heh I meant stupid as in uncontrolled by cute little boxes or computers.... like when it's only line pressure (or relief) and vacuum actuated

a z31 is semi-stupid, and that's not only regarding the transvestite

Comment

[quote]homestar wrote:
                    Originally posted by G-E
                    Slush box for me.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Working...
                    X