New 900ft/lb Clutch Specialties clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 900ft/lb Clutch Specialties clutch

Just sent my money to Brian (owner of Clutch specialties) and he is making me a single disk clutch that will hold roughly 900ft/lbs of torque.

I am trading my buddy the clutch I currently have which is a 240mm flywheel, cintered iron disk and heavy pressure plate for all of his 250mm stuff and 150 bucks.

gonna send in the 88turbo flywheel and pressure plate. have flywheel lightened 4 or 5 lbs. Have this newer 10" pressure plate that Brian has loaded with the 2600 psi diaphram from the one I am sending in, but he is changing the fulcrum point to give it around 3000 psi of clamping force. He is also giving me a high friction coefitient disk (He said the one I currently have from him is a medium coefitient, the six puck cintered iron one.) He said that with the med coef. disk it would be good for roughly 730ft,lbs or so, but with the high coef. disk it will be good for slightly more than 900ft/lbs.

The guy seems very knowledgable about what he is doing. Knows more than me, which I would hope so. Loves to talk though LOL.

I told him that I wanted to double up the diaphram to give it a shit load of clamping force. He said that he COULD do that but, he doesnt recomend that for a few reasons. A. It would put a lot of thrust stress on the crank shaft. B. I would have to push my clutch all the way to the floor just to get it to work. C. It would put lots of strain on my hydraulics in the clutch system.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

right on

how much cheaper is it compared to the OS Giken setup from amz.
    https://www.amzperformance.com/z31/?pag ... 2c91ad1c7&
    http://www.youtube.com/user/onefast87

Comment

Well, I didnt really wanna throw out a price because I dont know if he is hooking me up good or just doing regular price. He said "And that is a REALLY good deal" but he may just say that to everyone. I have no reason to think that I am special.

Anyways, I am getting the flywheel lightened and the new pressure plate with my old spring put in it, and the fulcrum points changed for more pressure and the new high friction clutch all for $450 shipped back to me.

Although, you really cant compare the two clutches due to the fact that they are two way different setups. I think I got a good deal though considering I sold my old clutch with about 5000 miles on it for $150. So ultimatly its costing me 300 bucks to do.

Comment

Someone help us all if you need more clutch than that. :twisted:
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: Someone help us all if you need more clutch than that. :twisted:
          If he needs more, he needs a powerglide.
          http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

[quote]Steve88t wrote:
            Originally posted by OR-Zman
            Someone help us all if you need more clutch than that. :twisted:
            If he needs more, he needs a powerglide.
            Na, after the the fsr30a (88t?) breaks then its a built T56 if I cant find parts for the 88t tranny. Then I'll switch to a twin disk or somthing along those lines.

No auto for me. Ok, well I cant say never. Just depends on how far the car goes. Although the fiance is gonna get pissed if I keep dumping money into my nissan and never put any into hers :!:

Comment

I think you are already past the point where a twin disc is going to work much better than an extreme single setup. Twins are MUCH nicer to drive on the street, too.
              Chuck Stong
              300+ Parts and Performance owner
              http://www.300-plus.com
              2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Firehawk wrote: I think you are already past the point where a twin disc is going to work much better than an extreme single setup. Twins are MUCH nicer to drive on the street, too.
                I belive that same thing(twin is nicer to drive) however my friend seems to think otherwise. Either way, I was considering a twin disk set up but that is a LARGE purchase and will probably have to wait a while do to the fact that I just dropped a ton of money on axles.

Although I was talking to the owner and he said that he makes a 7.5" twinn disk clutch for the hondas that doesnt quite hold as much as this clutch will. However I'm sure things can be switched around to where one would hold a lot more than mine could too.

Comment

Sounds narly, you going to be ready for test and tune this year? I want to see your ride in action for once.

Comment

you're going to end up needing multi-thousand dollar carbon triple plate clutches like Ryan Woon if 900 ft. lb. capacity isn't enough haha

Comment

I don't mean to steal their thunder, but SBC will also be offering a clutch with similar calculated torque capacity (between 800 and 900). Using a 2700lb modified pressure plate and full feramic high-CoF disc. I have had a prototype sitting around waiting for me to install for a few months :-(

I agree that dual diaphragm is really kind of a gimpy solution. It tends to cause issues with pedal travel. Clamp load with that treated (or any) diaphragm spring increases as the disc wears and the spring becomes more conical anyway. So if the calculation gives you a speculated 900ft/lbs when new, it should be a good deal higher once the clutch is near the end of its usable life.

Andrevas wrote: you're going to end up needing multi-thousand dollar carbon triple plate clutches like Ryan Woon if 900 ft. lb. capacity isn't enough haha
                      Friend of mine has an RPS carbon-carbon in his 3000GT VR4. That thing is freaking sweet, but $2600 is a little excessive in my opinion. I paid less than that for the last Z31 I bought.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Friend of mine has an RPS carbon-carbon in his 3000GT VR4. That thing is freaking sweet, but $2600 is a little excessive in my opinion. I paid less than that for the last Z31 I bought.
                        Hah. The last two z31s i bought (the only two i've ever bought) total $2650.
                        My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                        My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                        207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

[quote]Az4u2c wrote:
                          Originally posted by Jason84NA2T
                          Friend of mine has an RPS carbon-carbon in his 3000GT VR4. That thing is freaking sweet, but $2600 is a little excessive in my opinion. I paid less than that for the last Z31 I bought.
                          Hah. The last two z31s i bought (the only two i've ever bought) total $2650.
                          LOL WAAAAAY more that what I paid for the 3 z31's I own now. $375 for the 88, $300 for the 84t and $100 for the 86t =$775

Thats insane money for a clutch, did he re-do the viscous coupling at the same time? Those seem to be a weak point.
                          Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
                          Originally posted by BoostedMamma
                          Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote: I don't mean to steal their thunder, but SBC will also be offering a clutch with similar calculated torque capacity (between 800 and 900). Using a 2700lb modified pressure plate and full feramic high-CoF disc. I have had a prototype sitting around waiting for me to install for a few months :-(

I agree that dual diaphragm is really kind of a gimpy solution. It tends to cause issues with pedal travel. Clamp load with that treated (or any) diaphragm spring increases as the disc wears and the spring becomes more conical anyway. So if the calculation gives you a speculated 900ft/lbs when new, it should be a good deal higher once the clutch is near the end of its usable life.

Originally posted by Andrevas
                            you're going to end up needing multi-thousand dollar carbon triple plate clutches like Ryan Woon if 900 ft. lb. capacity isn't enough haha
                            Yeah I told him about the south bend clutches and how the highest that they currently offer is about 690 ft/lbs. He told me that was childs play. LOL. So its good that they are offering a higher load but honestly who is gonna use it? maybe 2 or three guys? Whats the point of making a line like that? Thats why Clutch specialties custom makes the clutch for you.

Not bad mouthing SBC I just have a loyalty to Clutch specialties because Brian has allways very well by me.

Comment

Working...
                            X