Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSD dilemma

OK, what would you guys do, performance wise and cost benefit

option 1. Junkyard LSD from 87T ~$300.00 200K mi, should I get new bearings?

option 2. Buy 88SS VLSD halfshafs and get an ebay S15 Helical LSD $1000.00 ($350 for halfshafts, $650.00 HLSD)

thanks
    used to have one of the first high horsepower NA to turbo cam'd 7000rpm pavement pounding z31's....now in process of building an LQ9 LS1 6.0L Z31 with all the goodies

Junkyard clutch type LSD for the win.

Mine had 260K and lasted over two years with lots of abuse; pinion bearing failure only meant I just had it swapped into another known 3.7 open diff for $60.

$300 is dirt cheap for one of those.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Junkyard clutch type LSD for the win.
      Hell yea $300 is a steal even if it has to be rebuilt

Let me know if you come across anymore at that price :wink:
      2005 whore magnet

Comment

well I am definitely buying the LSD, I just wanted to know if it'd be worth my while to do something different like the helical diff.

no one has ever done anything like that before...to my knowlege
        used to have one of the first high horsepower NA to turbo cam'd 7000rpm pavement pounding z31's....now in process of building an LQ9 LS1 6.0L Z31 with all the goodies

Comment

Ken in AZ wrote: well I am definitely buying the LSD, I just wanted to know if it'd be worth my while to do something different like the helical diff.

no one has ever done anything like that before...to my knowlege
          I think Raidon put the VLSD in his car from an M30 using the SS halfshafts. The aftermarket possibilities are endless, if you have the money to work with it might be a "fun" outcome.

Comment

option 2. Buy 88SS VLSD halfshafs and get an ebay S15 Helical LSD $1000.00 ($350 for halfshafts, $650.00 HLSD)
            considering kaaz, cusco, ats and tomei all come in for around $800-1100 why get a used s15 torsen that may need custom halfshafts or stub axles?

btw quaife makes torsen units, the others are clutch pack with varying technologies to enhance either the linearity of breakaway force or brute holding power or even durability

do some research on them

Comment

[quote]SteveZ31 wrote:
              Originally posted by Jason84NA2T
              Junkyard clutch type LSD for the win.
              Hell yea $300 is a steal even if it has to be rebuilt

Let me know if you come acrosee anymore at that price :wink:
              +1

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

G-E wrote:
                considering kaaz, cusco, ats and tomei all come in for around $800-1100 why get a used s15 torsen that may need custom halfshafts or stub axles?

btw quaife makes torsen units, the others are clutch pack with varying technologies to enhance either the linearity of breakaway force or brute holding power or even durability

do some research on them
                I have

Comment

I'm pretty sure Raidon used a J30 VLSD because as far as I know the M30 came with an open R200 only

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
                  1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
                  1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
                  2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
                  2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

Taris Blue wrote: I'm pretty sure Raidon used a J30 VLSD because as far as I know the M30 came with an open R200 only
                    I remember someone telling me the M30 came with a viscous, but that might be wrong. Yeah, he used a J30 vlsd:

http://zrelated.com/VLSD.htm

I love how he improved on my "solid mount" design here:

Comment

oh man $300.00 from the junk yard ! i picked one up 3 months ago for $36.00 at harry's u pull it i guess i got lucky because in 5 years of junkyard hunting i've only ever found that one .

boost. does a body good!

Comment

jjewell wrote: oh man $300.00 from the junk yard ! i picked one up 3 months ago for $36.00 at harry's u pull it i guess i got lucky because in 5 years of junkyard hunting i've only ever found that one .
                        In over 5 years of junkyard hunting here I have never found a single one, ever. There's simply not enough Z31's around here, let alone 87-89T cars. I've had to buy entire cars to get the factory LSD's I currently own.

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
                          Originally posted by Taris Blue
                          I'm pretty sure Raidon used a J30 VLSD because as far as I know the M30 came with an open R200 only
                          I remember someone telling me the M30 came with a viscous, but that might be wrong.
                          M30 has open diff. 3.9 gearing, but open. My dad has the cleanest 71,000 mile M30 hard top. I told him I want it when he is finised with it. I want to make it my turboed sleeper.
                          378whp 445wtq
                          http://mark86t.zmobiledetailing.com/.../v/Black+Hole/

Z Mobile Detailing, Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Working...
                          X