No announcement yet.

Swapping a VLSD into your Z31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if the tripod from a NA z31 axle has the same spline as the inner race on the z31 turbo axle? And whats the length difference between the actual inner shafts between the NA and T z31 axles? I assume the NA's are longer (hence why in method #4 you have to chop off 1.5 inches to get it to fit)?

I gotta get something like method #4 where diff side is a 5-bolt flange and wheel side is the 3x2 bolts for NA hubs. Was wondering if I could do something like method #5 and also dump the tripod end on the wheel side. I tried method #4 already and broke the welds....
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    SCCA Solo E-Street Prepared #31
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

Comment

frostvectron;330303 wrote: Does anyone know if the tripod from a NA z31 axle has the same spline as the inner race on the z31 turbo axle?
      Yes, all years

Turbo uses different kind of joints and thicker shaft, they use the birfield (caged balls), the non-turbo uses a tripod (exposed rollers)

If you try hard enough it might be possible to find compatible birfield parts to fit the non-turbo shaft, but don't think anyone tried

Comment

Originally posted by G-E View Post
        Yes, all years

Turbo uses different kind of joints and thicker shaft, they use the birfield (caged balls), the non-turbo uses a tripod (exposed rollers)

If you try hard enough it might be possible to find compatible birfield parts to fit the non-turbo shaft, but don't think anyone tried
        To clear this up, will an NA tripod spider assembly fit onto a turbo shaft? Same spline count, spline length, spline diameter? I would love to drop $450 and get short 4340 z31t axles that are sold to the S30 guys.

In lieu of that, am I correct in understanding the NA axles aren't too long for a tripod-tripod configuration? I unfortunately tossed my old ones a while back.
        http://z31performance.com/showthread...-My-86-Project
        VG33 HE351. "No seriously, it's almost done."

Comment

In simpler terms, are the spline dimensions between an NA axle shaft and a turbo axle shaft the same?
          http://z31performance.com/showthread...-My-86-Project
          VG33 HE351. "No seriously, it's almost done."

Comment

So in my bitsa I put a R33 Skyline VLSD in the R200 diff. It was originally an R230 but the crown wheels swapped over so no worries. I made driveshafts by using the original turbo shaft outers and took them to a machine shop to have the ends broached to fit the spline of the skyline inner driveshafts.. This was a loooong time ago so not sure what kind of bearing they are. Works a treat though.
            Straya, +61

Comment

Working...
            X