AT wont shift into D or OD..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT wont shift into D or OD..

whats up guys, like the subject says tranny wont go past 2nd. thats what i get for getting an A.U.T.Omatic. i have a T5 to put in, but there is someone interested in her, so i will hold off on the tranny swap for now. but i want to fix this. i did read somewhere that the temp sensor keeps the tranny from going into OD untill it warms up and the right resistance is met, but i couldnt locate the temp sensor though, my FSM (cd) doesnt go into this much and there is no picture for it. any ideas? than guys.

alex.
    Must Go Faster, Faster Untill The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.

AFAIK that sensor only inhibits overdrive, not 3rd gear. You could have lost a band or have damage somewhere else, but I'm sure there's someone here much more knowledgeable about automatics...

Comment

What is the mileage on the tranny?
      Was it a sudden no 3rd 4th?

mainly, SMELL THE TRANNY OIL.

If it reeeeks, that is bad.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

it wasnt sudden, well, i dont know, i bought it like this. but since i only drive her in very short trips 99% of the time it isnt a big concern, top of the list item to fix.

Comment

Did you smell it yet?

Comment

Looks and smells normal. the tranny has about 125xx on it. and also it is not D and OD, its just OD. it goes to 3rd normal.

Comment

so it won't go past 3rd then?

maybe it does have a faulty temp sensor some were. Of course the 300zx automatic trannys could almost go with out that last gear :lol:

Comment

WaZZ300 wrote: so it won't go past 3rd then?

maybe it does have a faulty temp sensor some were. Of course the 300zx automatic trannys could almost go with out that last gear :lol:
                I think the FSM shows the location of the temp sensor it uses, though it could also be the switch that enables/disables OD as well.

Comment

it could also be the switch that enables/disables OD as well.
                  it though that was a posibility since the switch doesnt ligh up, but i went to the junk yard and the autos they had were all trashed inside. so i dont know if the temp sensor need to be good in order for the switch to work, or the other way around. probably both though. :?

Comment

my parts car is an 86....with auto matic

need anything?

Comment

Can someone please point out the temp sensor, please :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

It is in the tranny oil pan.

Comment

thank you very much...

that explains why i couldnt find it from underneath. is there a way to disconnect it from the outside? or is it all internal? thanx for your help.

Comment

THe only information i could find.

Comment

thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X