solid differential for a drag car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solid differential for a drag car

would anyone have any ideas on making a solid differential for drag car without welding the stock on? welding them solid is illegal at any nhra track. i'm building a drag car and don't want to go though trying to find a lsd for beater project . besides it would be a waste of a good diff. i know theres fantom grip type things out there but i've heard they don't work well over time. i'm open to any ideas . also cheap is good for project.

boost. does a body good!

phantom grip should be fine for drag, it's bad for slipping but once it locks it should hold..... ie it's not a progressive limited slip, it's like dropping a boat anchor in the silt

besides it's cheaper than a real lsd and will install in an open diff

Comment

240sx p/g?

boost. does a body good!

Comment

for an r200 open diff

Comment

Has anyone try putting some kind of object in there?

I know it sounds like a bad idea, but in r/c cars we would use silly putty.

I don't know, i am trying to figure out an lsd solution.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

thats basically what p/g does, it crosses the spider gears and when theres too much twist, the two half shells bind and jam the gears.

Comment

could this be made on the cheap with just two blocks of metal with out the tension springs? i've never installed or used one before so i'm not real sure what all is going on in there. i've read alittle bit about them a long time ago and it seems like it's very simple to possibly make. it seems the springs would only really be there for smoother engagement.

boost. does a body good!

Comment

jjewell wrote: could this be made on the cheap with just two blocks of metal with out the tension springs? i've never installed or used one before so i'm not real sure what all is going on in there. i've read alittle bit about them a long time ago and it seems like it's very simple to possibly make. it seems the springs would only really be there for smoother engagement.
                The springs are there to adjust the "breakaway" however innappropriate that word seems for the PG

I'm sure you could machine and build your own for less, jam then by the same basic method with a solid wedge of aluminum, but welding is probably the only thing that would hold up for the long term.

Comment

I think you're right, should be easy to machine, maybe not the oiling grooves but who cares if you just want them locked, if you burn up the shaft just machine a new one

Comment

I have a Phantom Grip for sale if you are interested. Make me an offer.
                    Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
                    1986 300zx Turbo
                    2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
                    1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

Thought I replied to this thread already. Ooops

You can get a stock lsd new from http://purenissan.com/r200a_lsd.htm which has minor machining to clear an R200A in the trucks.
                      Or http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RD106...spagenameZWD1V
                      That one is for a C200 but they make one for the R200. Actually I think I remember hearing the R and C were interchangable.

Anyway there are lockers out there for the R200 but they are kinda rare. Still it is better than welding the gears.
                      http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

the air locker sounds like it would be a great drift diff

Comment

How about a mini spool?
                          It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

No one makes one that I know of for the R200.
                            http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/products ... in&man=ARB

ok so im not sure about the splines and what not but this seems to suggest there is a Air Diff locker made for a R200 diff it probally came in a pathfinder or another nissan pickup but for your drag car you could lock in the diff at the flick of a switch and away you go
                              85 Turbo Slick Top
                              __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

Working...
                              X