Turbo Driveline Strength?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Driveline Strength?

From the diff to the wheels, are there any improvements available? Excepting the R200 which I know will do the job I have in mind, a LS3 through a 4L85E transmission.

everything is pretty sturdy. that being said the axle stubs WILL break when abused. there is a supplier for cromoloy axle shafts and the axle stubs, http://www.modern-motorsports.com/stub-axles.html . other than that, axles hold up well at 500+ ftlb. your going auto so the abuse wont be as dramatic as a clutch car.
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

Comment

Is this for a drag racing application?
      Originally posted by Andrew84zx
      tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
      545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Circuit racing but there will be some standing starts. Sounds like it all should be OK though, thanks for the advice, I'm fairly mechanically sympathetic which should help.

Comment

I don't have sticky tires, but my diff/axles have not suffered any failures in roughly 25k miles and numerous trips to the drag strip. Running a heads/cam/intake 5.3 and a manual transmission.
          5.3 LSx Z31

Comment

What's the go on these now? Any alternative suppliers? I contacted the vendor in this thread and they only have axle stubs for the 240/280zx and not the z31.
            http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

• shromy
              shromy commented
              Editing a comment
              They previously supplied them. They may have dropped them, but should be able to make them nonethe less. Mark Williams should be able to make them as well

Yeah they can, just confirmed for about $800 a piece or $500 if they make ten. I'm waiting to hear back from Mark.

Do 4 more people want to get stubs and save me $600? lol

Comment

If you intend to try a group buy, it might be wise to post it both here and on the FB groups for the most exposure.
              '86 300ZXT GLL
              '78 Datsun 280Z BP
              '11 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD

Comment

I also got a reply from Mark Williams Enterprises but sounds a bit hard. Not sure if I'm willing to be the test case for these unless someone here has precise dimensions.

"We may be able to make some custom stub axles for your application. Contact our engineer with all your"

Comment

Wasn't SatanZ31 running those Mark Williams Z31 specific axle stubs?

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
                  1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
                  2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

I don't think Satan is running the Z31 rear end anymore. A lot of us are swapping in the 240SX subrame. That Z31 axle stub is just a ridiculous affair to remove and install, why not use a system where the axle goes right into the hub, better alignment ability and more LSDs and diff ratios to play with when running 350Z diffs.
                    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
                    if it fails, fuck it.
                    at least you gave it a whirl.

Comment

For my purposes the long nose R200 has a service limit of about 500whp which is OK for now, suitable ratios for it are no problem too so that's why the driveline question was raised. Rather than change to a S chassis rear suspension setup, for under 500whp I'd modify the semi trailing arm suspension unless it is certain the S setup would give a low enough ride height. I've played with the S setup before but not on a Z31, getting it high enough up under the body was a impossible then without difficult major body work..

Comment

• shromy
                        shromy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        the r200 can take well over 500tq, its the axles and stubs that become an issue. they hold up pretty well as long as your not dumping the clutch etc.

I'm guessing that there is a difference between the capacities of the short and long nose R200's. There have been a couple of recent instances of pinion failure in a road race long nose R200's, the extra pinion shaft length may lead to flex and misalignment of pinion to crown wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by 260DET View Post
                        I'm guessing that there is a difference between the capacities of the short and long nose R200's. There have been a couple of recent instances of pinion failure in a road race long nose R200's, the extra pinion shaft length may lead to flex and misalignment of pinion to crown wheel.
                        No, it is because of oil starvation to the forward most bearing on the pinion. Also US cars did not get the diff oil cooler setup the Euro cars got. The return feed from the diff cooler dumps the cooled oil on between the bearings of the pinion shaft to help them survive.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
                        1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
                        2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

Originally posted by NissanEgg View Post

No, it is because of oil starvation to the forward most bearing on the pinion. Also US cars did not get the diff oil cooler setup the Euro cars got. The return feed from the diff cooler dumps the cooled oil on between the bearings of the pinion shaft to help them survive.
                          Thanks for that useful info, when my R200 is built for the project Z31 I'll discuss this with the builder. Maybe an external line from the back of the diff to in between the two pinion bearings will help. Or ideally a small external pump aiming a jet of oil at the front pinion bearing.

On the subject of high strength stub axles, I may be interested in a group buy.

Comment

Working...
                          X