R30a Short Shifter Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NissanEgg View Post
    Trying to fit a 71C shifter into 30A transmission will cause this problem everytime.

If I am not mistaken the proper shifter to use for the Z31 30A is the C's or Nismo shifter for a R32 GTS-4 with RB25 or GT-R. The R32 with 30A has the same sloping shifter plate and shifter.
    So that would be Nismo shifters 32839-RN595 and 34110-RN595?
    http://www.nismo.co.jp/products/cata....html#page=153
    The second one looks nice, but it's quite expensive, like $300-400.

Comment

Shimming the cheap ebay shifter by 1mm worked for me. But i've only put like a mile on the car since it was installed.
      I made one or two for 300zxturboftw. Haven't heard any feedback as to whether they're working for him or not.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by z31_boy View Post

How was the throws and shifter feel after the install?
        its a bit shorter, not by a whole lot. and somewhat stiffer to shift for some reason, not as smooth as the stock, but it feels fine for me. you can definitely feel the throw. its worth doing i think, especially for the price of 25 bucks on ebay.

Bon

Comment

Originally posted by NissanEgg View Post
          Trying to fit a 71C shifter into 30A transmission will cause this problem everytime.

If I am not mistaken the proper shifter to use for the Z31 30A is the C's or Nismo shifter for a R32 GTS-4 with RB25 or GT-R. The R32 with 30A has the same sloping shifter plate and shifter.
          i thought the 240sx came with the same transmission as the z31. how different is the 30A? just wondering.

Comment

Some Z31s had the same 71C as in 240SXs, some had the 30A that was later also used in other Nissans.
            http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/?title=FS5R30A

Comment

Sorry for late response. Z_karma was a hero and sent me some shims that worked perfectly. I still have to adjust the bolts slightly and threadlock them, but the car is driveable (sometimes notchy from 4 to 5 - as said need to adjust it). I love the short shifter compared to the stock throw, which in my opinion is way too long. Less time focusing on shifting as the throws are short and tight.
              Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Comment

I don't remember reading about shimming in Z_Karma's guide. Could you guys share some details about what and how you've done?

Comment

• shromy
                  shromy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  it is outlined in the first page of this post by him.

• kaur
                  kaur commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ah, yes, found it now. Thanks

FYI - don't use the crappy bushing that comes with the shifter. Spend the extra $10 and buy a new nissan one. To get it on set the bushing on something softer than concrete (wood, plastic, etc) then align the shifter pivot in there and hit it down with a rubber mallet. Should pop right on with one good tap. If you are really strapped for cash use the one on the stock shifter, but I like the ability to switch back to the stock shifter if I ever need to.
                Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Comment

Working...
                X