short shifter problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short shifter problems!

i bought a short shifter for a 240sx for my 88t and i put it in no problems its all in but if i shift hard into second it will grind but still go in to gear every once and a while do that same for 3rd... this never did this before ....i dont know....? can any one tell me what i should do?

Shift slower?

Keep in mind you move the lever about half as much to accomplish the same result, so chances are you're just shifting too fast or are not depressing the clutch soon enough.

What type of gear oil are you running? I and many others have found redline MT90 will make the Nissan manual transmissions shift a lot faster.

Comment

yeah mine only does that when i mis interpret how far down i have the clutch.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Are you sure you assembled it correctly? I found that if you drop stuff in the lever hole in the wrong order, some combinations will allow you to still shift although very poorly, I originally assembled mine so that it wouldn't go into 5th at all!

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
        1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
        1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
        2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
        2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

bleed (better to flush) the clutch hydraulics and make sure the pedal is adjusted properly. bent clutch diaphragm springs can cause this problem which would be unrelated to the shifter. how old is your clutch. if this is clutch related you are ruining the syncros.

Comment

As Jason mentioned the Redline oil does make a noticable difference.

I got a cheap 240sx shifter and that lasted about 2 months before I got the real deal. I wouldn't trade my B&M shifter for anything at this point. I do have to pay attention to the rpm coming into 2nd still but it shifts easily, quickly and it is damn tight. Pure shifting sex in my opinion.
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: I wouldn't trade my B&M shifter for anything at this point.
              We know it's better, stop taunting those of us with the 30A! lol

Comment

^sorry man, but they are just that damn sweet...there I go again. :wink: 8)
                Just stand back and throw money.
                Performance costs money.
                Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Working...
                X