LSD as claimed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSD as claimed?

Can an 86 build date "87 model" zx turbo automatic have an LSD?

I'm looking at buying this car, and the owner swears it's an LSD because "it's an 87" and says "definitely" it lays double stripes.

It has no finned rear cover, and a pre-4/87 build date, so my information (mostly from this site, thank you!) suggests it's not an LSD.

Any possibility the seller's claims are true?

I didn't have the opportunity to jack the car up and test it that way, is that a reliable method (assuming I just need to rule in- or out- the clutch LSD)

- thanks for helping a noob.
    Started with Datsuns and L engines, Mikuni carbs. Now a 1968 Datsun 510: 2200lbs, RWD, IRS, 50:50wt. f/r

spy a VG30et.. a VG30ET 510?

Tube frame "done".
    12/10: Interior sheetmetal, firewall done. Fuel + brake plumbing "done". Pulled it all out again to finish the "chassis". Briefly, it drove, then back to the shop.
    1/11: rotisserie built: car BELLY UP
    Will now attempt an aero underbody - best keep it simple!! I have no windtunnel

There is no way the car has an LSD if it was built prior to 4/87, unless of course someone swapped one in (but from your post it sounds like he is saying it came from the factory with the LSD)

Jack it up and test it right in front of him, and yes it is definitly an accurate way to determine what type of diff the car has.
    2005 whore magnet

Comment

Steve, thank you for your advice, it answers my question exactly.
      Started with Datsuns and L engines, Mikuni carbs. Now a 1968 Datsun 510: 2200lbs, RWD, IRS, 50:50wt. f/r

spy a VG30et.. a VG30ET 510?

Tube frame "done".
      12/10: Interior sheetmetal, firewall done. Fuel + brake plumbing "done". Pulled it all out again to finish the "chassis". Briefly, it drove, then back to the shop.
      1/11: rotisserie built: car BELLY UP
      Will now attempt an aero underbody - best keep it simple!! I have no windtunnel

Comment

I can lay down 2 strips in my 85t, (when I was still driving it), just not all the time.
        It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

The easiest way to test it is to powerbrake it. With an open it will start to burn both but then one wheel will stop. Leaving one very heavy black mark and one small one. With the LSD it will leave 2 heavy black marks.
          KILL HADJI

Comment

My car always spun both on level ground in first gear with an open diff.

If it's not made after 4/87 and does not have a finned cover, it's most likely not an LSD

Comment

Working...
            X