Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another thread confirming nissan trannys are underfilled

http://www.nissanoffroad.net/message...TOPIC_ID=13718

i over filled mine a little. good to know i'm not hurting anything.

overfilling is pretty common in 4 wheeling. i always did it because my truck was never level. i was always off kilter. :wink:

Comment

isn't this a repost ?

I have seen it before

(BTW, my tranny is grinding going into second now, F U C K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 i shoulda left the nissan stuff in there)

tuesday comes along and i fix this issue right away.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

It may not be a repost, but it is very old news. The N4W community has known this to be fact for many years.
        http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Well it's new info to me!

Side note: I've been running Redline Shockproof Heavy in my trans for several months now without issue. I figure it's good protection for the trans against the ACT 6-puck if the stuff works. Might go add an extra 1/2 quart tomarrow just to be safe...

Comment

There is a TSB from about 96 or 97 that says the case for the FS5R30A is being superceded to a new part number. It relocates the oil fill hole to a position 1" higher. NO other changes that I know of.

As for overfilling, I dont see how it hurts a manual tranny. If anything it "may" cause a little extra drag on the moving parts. Whoopity doooo!

I've been keeping my eye open for a later tranny to snag. If I found one in good shape, it would get used on my pathfinder. If I find two it will get used on the Z.

Comment

couldn't it cause some excessive foaming if way overfilled? Or does this stuff not do that
              ?

Comment

Foaming does not come from fill level. If it doesnt foam at the lower level it wont at the higher with a manual. That concept is from the auto's where they have pressurized systems to move the fluid where it needs to be. If you overfill them, they foam because the fluid is getting up into moving parts where it should not be.

Comment

by what I've been reading, all of our trannys are underfilled by anywhere from 3/4 to 1.5L, including the auto

Comment

The method I've used is pouring it in from the shifter hole, until it starts spilling out the back a little. With the drive shaft in.
                    Never had one Transmission problem.
                    Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
                    1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
                    2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

FreeLanceBum wrote: The method I've used is pouring it in from the shifter hole, until it starts spilling out the back a little. With the drive shaft in.
                      Never had one Transmission problem.
                      That must be a lot of fluid :?:

Comment

Not pour out of the shifter hole.
                        Have a buddy look under the car, while you start pouring. Stop when he sees some drip out.
                        This method was reccomended to me several years ago, in regerds to this particular transmission. They never had an issue, and neither have I.
                        Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
                        1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
                        2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

if you have it apart you could drill and tap a new bung in the casing an inch up... doesn't need to be 1" opening a simple 1/4" or 3/8" npt would work, you could even use a barb fitting with a ball valve to open and close

Comment

Working...
                          X