Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!

Is there anyother way to get the fliud out of the manual tranny, other than the (stripped out) plug?

-spencer

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

I think the drain plug is your only choice unless you siphon it out

Comment

I fear this

Comment

Just out of curiosity how stripped is stripped as in completely round or some ridges left
        Attached Files

Comment

Like whoever did it before didn't hold the wrench in and it pulled out under torque leaving a spiral of bulging metal.

So the wrench goes in there, and kinda holds. but the 1/2 extensions don't fit to tight.

Comment

I'd be fearful too!
            Remember that the lubes jobs isn't just to act as a heat transfer meduim and lubrication...it's there collecting "wear". I can name a few other methods to empty out the lube, but none of the methods work best at allowing debris, dirt, and other garbage to come out with the lube.
            *Looks like your'e needing to find a welder....
            ^^stripped and broken steel that is threaded into aluminuim is a cinch to deal with really. Myself, I'd be welding a nut to the drainplug, getting it nice a cherry hot as I do it. When it cools, a breaker bar and a socket of the appropiate size will leave me with the ability to drain the tranny and the need for a replacement drain plug.
            BTW...DO NOT PUT TEFLON ON THE THREADS OR THREAD LOCKER!..JUST A LITTLE ANTI-SIEZE AND TORQUE APPROPIATELY!
            8)
            Dan
            I am here to help...

Comment

zzz
              1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

it's thick oil with hardly any air.... it won't flame up

Comment

It should be fine to weld
                  Attached Files

Comment

You can remove the driveshaft, but as Dan said, that will only get most of it, and not the 'dirtier' stuff that tends to settle on the bottom.

Comment

Well, i have done it before, and i don't know how i got it off, but i think i did pump it out. (only way i can think of) So I will weld the plug.

Comment

Getting it red hot will not be a problem. There is nowhere near enough oxygen in there to ignite it.
                        Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
                        1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
                        2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Well, i ended up having to take out the reverse lamp swith because i couldn't get the fill plug out either.

Pumped all the gl-5 stuff out...

Pour the new stuff in from the top. (found out the seal up there was leaking because is was ripped ALL the way around)

Also substituted in 500mL of a moly based manual transmision lube, with the 85w gl-4 sta-lube stuff. (about 2 quarts all together)

Seems to be a little slower in the shifts, but much more solid.

Comment

Working...
                          X