little help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• little help?

I have recently purchased an 88ss (V-lsd for sale btw) and I'm going to put it's manual transmission in my 87na 2+2. I know i'll need to have the driveshaft lengthened. The engine is not original. The guy i bought it from said the transmission wasn't either. The clutch (a worn out ACT street with a broken pivot arm) had a 250mm disk. Does the larger clutch/flywheel surface mean that the transmission is the late 87+ turbo? Can anybody positively ID it by the pictures, or can somebody tell me of a way to ID it for sure? The transmission measured 35inches if that helps you ID it.

More importantly, how much longer does my driveshaft need to be? does anybody know how much longer a 2+2 shaft is compared to a 2seater with the same gearbox? I
    My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

I think the driveshaft length question is answered in the sticky at the top of this forum. Nice diagrams GE.

Comment

Actually, no. While the information was helpful, it didn't tell me the difference in driveshaft length between a 2seater and a 2+2 when transmissions are equal. "It's easy to see from this information that if you want to put a turbo manual transmission in a 2+2 car, you will need to have a standard turbo driveshaft lengthened (re-tubed) or a custom unit made"

This was helpful, indeed, but i need to know how much longer it needs to be. I assume i could take the difference in wheelbase and add that onto the shaft, but i need to know for sure if that will work. Little room for error here.

Comment

spider to spider (red markings) are the same for all trannys, they change by car length, all 2+2 shafts use the 2+2 length

Comment

Az4u2c wrote: The clutch (a worn out ACT street with a broken pivot arm) had a 250mm disk. Does the larger clutch/flywheel surface mean that the transmission is the late 87+ turbo? Can anybody positively ID it by the pictures.
          I
          Yes thats it. also, all 87+ 5spd. turbos had that tranny.
          imagination is a virtue

Comment

...but...
            I'm going to be using a FS5R30A (transmission now confirmed) with my 2+2. i need to have it's shaft lengthened how long? My auto shaft won't do, it has the wrong slip-yoke and has smaller u-joints. Does this mean I need it lengthened to 34.06 inches spider-to-spider?

I think the reason I am confused is because it states "All manual transmissions are the same length, so hence all manual driveshafts for two seat cars are also the same length." Yet the measurement between the 90A and the 30A is different. The spider-to-spider is off .6 inches.

Comment

if in doubt, check the fsm..... the nissan trannys are the same, the borg warner might not be

Comment

Thats definately the nissan turbo tranny. I have had all 3 in my garage at the same time.
                Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
                1986 300zx Turbo
                2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
                1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

ah-HAH. i've finally found it in the FSM. for some reason when I unzipped it i missed a few of the chapters, included chapter "PD" the one i needed. Go figure. Thanks guys! Now i need to dig up a shop to do the work for me.

Comment

that transmission likely won't line up with the body mounts, requiring you to either drill new holes in the body to make it fit, or make a custom plate to mount the transmission.
                    Funny stories!

Comment

homestar wrote: that transmission likely won't line up with the body mounts, requiring you to either drill new holes in the body to make it fit, or make a custom plate to mount the transmission.
                      Why would a 30a NOT line up in an 87 model car? I thought the body change was done from the begining of 87 models regardless of prod date.

IE any tranny that fits an 88 would fit an 87 just the same.
                      http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Working...
                      X