Is this safe to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this safe to use?

This is the clutch and pressure plate i yanked out of the 88ss parts car. The clutch disk is pretty much shot as you can see (it's very close to the rivets), and the flywheel and pressure plate show signs of burns, but are smooth as glass. Is it a bad idea to buy a new ACT disk and use the pressure plate and flywheel again?

My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

on the flywheel id still maybe take it somewhere to be resurfaced
    1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
    1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

I'd have the flywheel resurfaced definately in this case. I would also have it resurfaced anytime you install a new clutch.
      1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I had planned on this after reading about Jason's grenaded-flywheel. The pressure plate looks good enough for service?

Comment

I'd be leary that you could even grind those hard spots out. They are usually as deep as they are wide. Think of how a welder spreads out from the source of heat.

I can also see a few spots that I bet are cracked if you look closely.

As for use it? Put it in like that and use it. Who knows....but I guarantee that at low rpm it will chatter a bit. I'd find a better flywheel if you were going to replace the other two. But that is just me......
          Attached Files
          http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

The flywheel I'd have resurfaced and as for the pressure plate ACT should send you a new one with the clutch.

Comment

mike1988 wrote: The flywheel I'd have resurfaced and as for the pressure plate ACT should send you a new one with the clutch.
              You can buy the parts individually, so only if he buys the whole kit.

You can have the pressure plate rebuilt, but it's not too expensive to buy a new unit. The "hot" spots on the flywheel are usually just light material galling on the surface; you'll know for sure once they resurface it.

I would look at getting a DXD clutch kit side by side with the ACT. Compare the prices from Dan at TSS.

Comment

The DXD kits are pretty good I take it? They sure are priced pretty modestly. Which is out-friggen-standing for a currently-unemployed high schooler. sure hope i can resurface the flywheel, new ones are expensive.

Comment

I have a clutch, flywheel, pressure plate combo that I'm selling with a transmission but would be happy to break up if needed. PM, AIM, or email (mailto:jbraun@rannic.com) me for details
                  Funny stories!

Comment

I also have a damn near new stock clutch disc and pressure plate. Only 6K miles on a stock non turbo vehicle. Its the 240mm size, fits 84-86 turbo and 84-89 non turbo. $50 shipped if you want it, thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X