FS5W71C into a 87 turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS5W71C into a 87 turbo

I got this tranny out of an 86 n/a parts car. I want to put it in next weekend. I dont think Im going to be ready though.

Can any of you guys running this tranny give me a little advice.......should I run the stock flywheel size and clutch for an n/a or will the 250mm(?) flywheel from the turbo and a turbo clutch fit properly?

What about bypassing the bleed valve with a braided line?
    I kinda think that might be a stupid idea....what if the line needs to be bleeded?

I was debating pulling the motor/trans assembly at the same time.....seems like a shitload of work(timewise) just to do the tranny.....but I remember how much fun I had underneath the parts car i got the tranny from :roll:

Can anyone give me any tips.......
    Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

driveshaft and companion flange

Comment

you can feel free to bypass that clutch dampener if you don't feel like bleeding your clutch twice. I did that when i had a 71C tranny.
      Funny stories!

Comment

G-E wrote: driveshaft and companion flange

Im sure you mean that I need those pieces. If so I have them from the donor car so that makes me happy.
        Ive had all that stuff laying around for months and havent tackled it, but after looking at your guys cars it got me motivated.

So, the turbo flywheel and clutch will fit with this tranny?

If so I will wait to get an aluminum flywheel. I might as well do it right. Im going to take the case apart today and make sure there is nothing goofy that will cause me to have to pull it apart again

Oh crap...just dawned on me.....I dont know if I kept the companion flange from the N/a car....

I dont want to modify the auto one if it doesnt work now...I might have to grab one of those too

Comment

[quote]TODD03412 wrote:
          Originally posted by G-E

Originally posted by G-E
          If so I will wait to get an aluminum flywheel. I might as well do it right. Im going to take the case apart today and make sure there is nothing goofy that will cause me to have to pull it apart again
          You will have to grind some material away from the inside of the bell housing to clear the pressure plate.
          imagination is a virtue

Comment

[quote]craZed wrote: [quote=TODD03412]
            Originally posted by G-E

You will have to grind some material away from the inside of the bell housing to clear the pressure plate.
            So I can slide the pressure plate on the input shaft and mark where it will probably make contact and grind away.........
            That works for me then. Thank you for the advice!!!!

Comment

if you're lucky....

not all clutches are made the same, but to answer directly, all non-tubo 5spd and bw t5's share the same 240mm clutch combo

Comment

Good, so I can just use a clutch for an 84-86 turbo. That helps me a lot !!!!

Comment

Working...
                X