SWAP QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWAP QUESTION

Do you guys have an easier time pulling the motor and tranny together or actually getting under the car and pulling the tranny itself.

Im thinking pulling both wouldnt be bad if itll come out together......then I could run everything for the clutch (pedal, slave cylinder, line etc) easier, clean up the engine bay, and I would have to worry about bending the input shaft b/c I can hold everything............
    With the parts car I had I lowered the tranny and then pulled the motor..Im thinking it woulda been faster just pulling them together
    Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

I hate JUST pulling the tranny. Even with a lift and the proper tools...it is in my opinion, better to pull the engine/tranny together.
    Especially because of all and more of the reasons you stated.
    8)
    I am here to help...

Comment

TODD03412 wrote: Do you guys have an easier time pulling the motor and tranny together or actually getting under the car and pulling the tranny itself.

Im thinking pulling both wouldnt be bad if itll come out together......then I could run everything for the clutch (pedal, slave cylinder, line etc) easier, clean up the engine bay, and I would have to worry about bending the input shaft b/c I can hold everything............
      With the parts car I had I lowered the tranny and then pulled the motor..Im thinking it woulda been faster just pulling them together
      I think pulling them together is much easier. Since you're auto, I would recommend it even more so. You've got the normal transmission bolts plus the 4 bolts to the torque converter. Plus, its just easier dropping the engine and transmission in at the same time if you've got a hefty FS5R30A like me and several others.
      Originally posted by Andrew84zx
      tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
      545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

I got spare heads, rebuilt them with some reground cams, and dans-tss exhaust bolts, took old heads off, cleaned surfaces, and dropped the new ones in...

Very effective for me

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: I got spare heads, rebuilt them with some reground cams, and dans-tss exhaust bolts, took old heads off, cleaned surfaces, and dropped the new ones in...

Very effective for me
          So youre saying you pulled everything too?

That is what I will do then.........I know it would be faster too. I couldnt believe how quickly I had the motor out of my parts car when I pulled it.

I do need to replace the studs on the passenger head also....theyll be fun to extract

Comment

I've pulled just the tranny before and I find that it is a whole hell of a lot easier than pulling the motor and tranny in one if you only need to get to the tranny.
            Funny stories!

Comment

Its even easier if you take off the front bumper and stuff.Those extra few inch makes a big differents.
              1986 Current build
              HX35/40 60mm wheel,480cc injectors,nistune, spearco 2-221,6 puck,walbro fp,solid cross and diff,jason motor mounts,poly everywhere else.

Comment

[quote]TODD03412 wrote:
                Originally posted by MrwassmanNA2T
                I got spare heads, rebuilt them with some reground cams, and dans-tss exhaust bolts, took old heads off, cleaned surfaces, and dropped the new ones in...

Very effective for me
                So youre saying you pulled everything too?

That is what I will do then.........I know it would be faster too. I couldnt believe how quickly I had the motor out of my parts car when I pulled it.

I do need to replace the studs on the passenger head also....theyll be fun to extract
                No. The Block and tranny remained in the car

Comment

wilson101 wrote: Its even easier if you take off the front bumper and stuff.Those extra few inch makes a big differents.
                  It does make a big difference mostly if you don't have an adjustable arm on your lift. I've done it several times both with and without the bumper and its a little easier without the bumper but not that big of a deal.
                  Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                  tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                  545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

I might have someone there too help me too, but I think even by myself it would only take me like...2 hours if that. Is that unreasonable to think that? I was almost thinking that if I started early on a saturday that I could be bleeding the clutch at breaking it in by 7 p.m. and thats will breaks to eat and what ever else y'know?
                    Whats your opinion?

Comment

TODD03412 wrote: I might have someone there too help me too, but I think even by myself it would only take me like...2 hours if that. Is that unreasonable to think that? I was almost thinking that if I started early on a saturday that I could be bleeding the clutch at breaking it in by 7 p.m. and thats will breaks to eat and what ever else y'know?
                      Whats your opinion?
                      For the whole swap???

Comment

Yeah......unhook the downpipe and all wiring harnesses, undo the motor and trans, pull them and put them on a makeshift supports. Degrease engine bay, install the clutch pedal, clutch line etc. Take auto off---torque converter etc. replace rear main seal, install flywheel, clutch, transmission. Starter......lift and re install in engine bay. bolt everything back up, wiring harness downpipe....fluids. jump wiring harness for ecu so it will start and then fire it up........... The one write up on Z31 I read was done in one day, that was with dropping the trans out of the bottom. I really dont want to do that since I will mostly be working by myself and dont have a good tranny jack. I hate being under my car with jackstands....I have this fear of it shifting and falling (happened to one of my friends in high school.....He probably had the shit jacked incorrectly, but it happened just the same.....he cant tell us what happened b/c hes not alive anymore...freaks me out)
                        Spend 2 minutes getting the input shaft in correctly and having PLENTY of room to work.........or spend hours under the car with minimal room getting pissed b/c I cant get to bolts and I cant get stuff adjusted right?!?!?!?!?!
                        I will pull it.......a day ....even if it becomes two is unreasonable I think

Comment

I think it will take longer than that. But if you can pull it off, Kudos

Comment

Im just wondering..........I agree with you..Im sure it will.
                            Ive had the parts sitting in the garage for like months now......so knowing me :roll:

I just need to get a few things to get it done so Im pretty excited to start it. A clutch from dan, resurface the flywheel and a companion flange that I forgot to get from the donor car....then I will begin.

Comment

I've done the manual swap with just pulling the transmission. No transmission jack either.

Considering you need to replace studs, and you want to clean up the bay, I'd say pull it all as one. Take the bumper cover off, and the metal bumper as well. That will clear up some room for the hoist.
                              Good luck with the swap, I'm working on a write-up for it right now.

Also, I've pulled the engine + trans. at once before, and had a hell of a time getting it out of the engine bay. I might just need a better engine leveler. Any advice?
                              Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
                              1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
                              2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Working...
                              X