Helical vs Clutch LSD ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helical vs Clutch LSD ?

What are the pros/cons of each and which is going to be better for racing ( with turns ) like autocrossing, roadracing etc...

Basically, I've got two LSD's in mind for my car. I'm looking at a Quaife, or a Tomei 2 way. The Quaife has a lifetime warranty, but it's also twice the price of the Tomei. So disreguarding the price/availability/warranty of them, which one will perform the best, and by how much of a margin?

Long explanations are always appreciated

Thanks.
    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Most will say Helical (and especially Quaife!) is the better and more modern kickass technology. But there are those with the vehement differing opinion otherwise.
    Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
    I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
    Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

A gear differential (like quaife and torsen) is far superior to a clutch lsd. When I upgraded to a torsen on my firehawk (which I have autox and road raced for years), the difference was amazing, and it lasts far longer than a clutch lsd ever will.
      Chuck Stong
      300+ Parts and Performance owner
      http://www.300-plus.com
      2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

depends on your application, which goes with what is beyond me.
        KILL HADJI

Comment

Alex86na2t wrote: depends on your application, which goes with what is beyond me.
          gear diffs are better in the corners, clutch types work fine in a straight line.
          Chuck Stong
          300+ Parts and Performance owner
          http://www.300-plus.com
          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

In short:
            Helical
            Use this if you're the typical autox driver where "contol-to-the-limit">"control-past-the-limit"

Pros:Lock up (oversteer) is more progressive, does not require frequent oil changes, a bit more streetable
            Cons:Vauge feel past the limit "what is it doing?", Lock up not as aggressive.

Clutch

Best for surgeon-lke precision with the right foot.

Pros: Excellent feedback to the driver, very manageable past the limit, cheaper, fast lock-up
            Cons:CHATTER, requires frequent oil changes (I average 2 drift events before it starts to really chatter, signalling that it needs service. KAAZ takes conventional gear oil with additives. I use @ 2qts regular Mobil1 with Kendall LSD additive= $12 every change.), some say too aggressive when exiting corners under power.

Either will do fine for drag, it is drag.

Most people here will not be able to tell the difference.

Based on price alone, I would suggest the clutch LSD. Paying twice as much for such a small margin is not very smart, and it is small. The shortcomings of the clutch LSD in an autox scenario can turn into benefits if you relearn and know how to drive your car. You are rewarded for proper line, entry speed, and throttle work. If you're not a smooth driver, you will fail.

Comparing "super duper" brand of any part to a stock (read pathetic) version of the same component is not a proper comparison.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X