Replacement U-joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement U-joints

Does anyone remember that Canadian company that was making replacement u-joints for the Z? I have a story about that.

About two years ago my u-joints had a ridiculous amount of play. I bought two of them; they were about 20 dollars each. I press out the old u joints and put in the new ones. The end caps on the new ones were way too tiny. They were about a quarter inch too small. So I look at the measurement charts on their website and see that the Z32 u-joints were the proper size. So I send those back and get the Z32 ones. So low and behold they're the right size. I set it up in the press and the end cap goes most of the way in and cracks like an egg shell. I try again, except filing a good bit of the inner sleeve down and lubing it up. Once again the end cap breaks with very little pressure. After this I just go to the junkyard and find a driveshaft with no slop in it, and I fit its u-joints with grease fittings. I throw that sucker in my Z and drive.
    Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
    I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
    Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

the real things are made by borg warner, if in doubt go to the source

or like you say, get a used one

Comment

Yeah, Nissan went stupid on the driveshaft and its not built with replaceable u-joints. I've had mine replaced twice from a competent driveshaft shop and while it "worked," it never rode quite the same. It threw the balancing off. Eventually, I called up powertrain industries and purchased a new steel driveshaft with stronger, replaceable GM units.
      Originally posted by Andrew84zx
      tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
      545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

A local driveshaft shop in town told me he could get a brand new unit for $186 plus freight, or he could have an aluminum unit made for $350 - $400. Either way still beats the replacement u-joints made by Rockford, which costs $20 a piece plus $65 for balancing after you finish installation, and still won't last very long......
        Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

simply86T wrote: A local driveshaft shop in town told me he could get a brand new unit for $186 plus freight, or he could have an aluminum unit made for $350 - $400. Either way still beats the replacement u-joints made by Rockford, which costs $20 a piece plus $65 for balancing after you finish installation, and still won't last very long......
          $350 for an Aluminum DS is a good price. Could you get some more information about them and what the details would be on ordering one?
          Originally posted by Andrew84zx
          tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
          545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

FlawleZ wrote: $350 for an Aluminum DS is a good price. Could you get some more information about them and what the details would be on ordering one?
            Sure, it's a shop in Houston, TX. I got the quote when I had my driveshaft balanced by them about 1 year ago. They specialize in truck driveshaft, including 18-wheelers, but they can get you any driveshaft you want. Here is their yellowpage ad.

Their website doesn't work, so it's better if you call.
            Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

Working...
            X