Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driveshaft broke today, few questions. Upgrade or stocker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft broke today, few questions. Upgrade or stocker?

So after 2 weeks getting a new 88T tranny, LSD, and driveshaft in, i went out to beat on it today. On my first hard shift from first to second i broke the U-Joint at the transmission end of the driveshaft. Thing is this driveshaft was not OEM, it looked like a cheapy aftermarket replacement. I looked at it and said to myself, wow that looks alot weaker than my N/A driveshafts U joints. So my question is should i put a real OEM 87-89T driveshaft in or should i spring for an aftermarket one with strong ass u-joints so i never have to deal with it again? Anyone ever break a 87-89T driveshaft? Remember im putting over 400 to the wheels and have slicks that i might use if i get gutsy enough at the track. Where can i get a beefy afetrmarket driveshaft also?

I vote upgrade. Mine was under $280 with tax custom built locally of all new parts. I hear these guys are great and a lot cheaper:

http://www.pstds.com/

the dimensions are all here:

http://www.redz31.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=669

Comment

Upgrade.

I've broken my FS5R30A driveshaft twice at the u-joints. I highly reccomend talking to http://www.powertrainindustries.com I picked up my steel unit from them and its quite hefty. Overall weight its probably only 2 pounds heavier or so, but the u-joints are really stout. They're replaceable GM style units.
      Originally posted by Andrew84zx
      tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
      545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

What did you pay for your shaft there flawleZ?

Comment

roastin300 wrote: What did you pay for your shaft there flawleZ?
          I think it was $330 shipped to my door.

Sorry for the image size.
          545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Perfect. thanks. Can they guarantee it wont break at 500hp? I need this guarantee to be happy. Id actually like to be guaranteed to about 700hp, once i build a motor im looking for around 600 to the wheels.

Comment

roastin300 wrote: Perfect. thanks. Can they guarantee it wont break at 500hp? I need this guarantee to be happy. Id actually like to be guaranteed to about 700hp, once i build a motor im looking for around 600 to the wheels.
              I honestly can't say for sure. I know its much stronger than the stock unit but I couldn't quote a power rating like that. I'm sure if you give them a call, they could tell you for sure.
              545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

I found a local place a little over an hour from me that specializes in custom driveshafts, im going to call them tommorrow. If they cant do one for under $300 i will buy from one of the sites you guys gave me, thanks

Comment

I called them up, the guy was great to talk to. I need to ship him my slip yoke and rear flange along with the measurement from the tranny to the diff flange and he said he can make me one for about $300. I will probably go this route and never look back. It will just be mild steel but said it should handle 500hp no problem even with my slicks at the track. Its replaceable removeable u-joints. Anyone know the stock diameter of the driveshaft? He wants to make me a 3" diameter one but i think the stock one is only like 2.5" and i have a driveshaft safety loop that already comes pretty close to it, not sure if a 3" one will fit in there. thanks for the help

Comment

roastin300 wrote: I called them up, the guy was great to talk to. I need to ship him my slip yoke and rear flange along with the measurement from the tranny to the diff flange and he said he can make me one for about $300. I will probably go this route and never look back. It will just be mild steel but said it should handle 500hp no problem even with my slicks at the track. Its replaceable removeable u-joints. Anyone know the stock diameter of the driveshaft? He wants to make me a 3" diameter one but i think the stock one is only like 2.5" and i have a driveshaft safety loop that already comes pretty close to it, not sure if a 3" one will fit in there. thanks for the help
                    Cool. Hope it turns out well.

545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

the numbers in red are from the fsm.... if I measured wrong anywhere, those aren't

Comment

roastin300 wrote: I called them up, the guy was great to talk to. I need to ship him my slip yoke and rear flange along with the measurement from the tranny to the diff flange and he said he can make me one for about $300. I will probably go this route and never look back. It will just be mild steel but said it should handle 500hp no problem even with my slicks at the track. Its replaceable removeable u-joints. Anyone know the stock diameter of the driveshaft? He wants to make me a 3" diameter one but i think the stock one is only like 2.5" and i have a driveshaft safety loop that already comes pretty close to it, not sure if a 3" one will fit in there. thanks for the help
                        Mine was less $ than that locally (you can see it in my coppermine gallery)... there are the measurements they need right on this site so you don't have to ship them anything.

I believe stock diameter is 2.75". Mine is a 3" DOM tube and it fits but comes very close to rubbing on the CM exhaust.

Comment

dammit! you guys are making me paranoid. Ive got the stock drive shaft out of an 88t and have never had anyproblems. but now i'm starting to think that I'm pressing my luck with the entire drive train.
                          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: dammit! you guys are making me paranoid. Ive got the stock drive shaft out of an 88t and have never had anyproblems. but now i'm starting to think that I'm pressing my luck with the entire drive train.
                            same here, my stuff has held up fine...
                            Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
                            I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
                            Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

well i ran the N/A driveshaft for a couple years and put about 10K abusive miles on it and never had a problem, took the shaft out and its still in great shape. Then i put in the 88T driveshaft and the first hard shift from first to second breaks it. SATAN, especially you i would upgrade with your power level. If you want i can have him bust 2 out and maybe get a better deal for us....what do you think?

Comment

Working...
                              X