No announcement yet.

how many splines on the z31 stub axle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many splines on the z31 stub axle?

I know the 240z has 25 and the 280z has 27 but for some stupid reason I dont know what my own damn car has.

I noticed that modern motorsports made good axle stubs for the 280z 27 spline. they have an article where they upgrade a 280z to a z31 half shaft cv shaft. I'm just wondering if it wer possible to "down grade" to the super strong 280z axle stub and companion flange or if that whole set up is completely different.

we probably have somthing like 30 splines huh? meh just a thought. I know that they can make stubs and companion flanges for the z31 fbut its like 1400 bucks for the whole kit.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

what makes you think the 280z's are so superior? I'm not arguing just asking

Comment

G-E wrote: what makes you think the 280z's are so superior? I'm not arguing just asking
      I think he was referring to the aftermartk 280Z axle stubs.
      Originally posted by Andrew84zx
      tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
      545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Yeah the ones that modern motorsport makes. they make them and it looks like they sell them for somthing like 700 bucks a pair. thats just for the stubs. but that beats the 1400 some odd for the z31 stubs and companion flanges and bearings.

I dont even know if it would work or if it would be any better if there are less splines that the z31 stubs. but they sound like some pretty good pieces. I should probably just suck it up and do the bigger stubs.

Never mind. but for somone else this "might" be worth looking into.
        Attached Files

Comment

SATAN wrote: for some stupid reason I dont know what my own damn car has.

We probably have somthing like 30 splines huh?

Sorry for bringing an old thread back up, but during my search of other info, I stumbled upon this one and since I just pulled my diff and axles out to make way for an upgrade - Figured I could answer this for you.

This is from my 86T 5-spd (3:54 OPEN )

I counted 29 Splines
          on both axles:

Hope this helps someone out?

Comment

z

Comment

zmech wrote: He needs the count off the stub axle that is in the arm.

Allow me to redeem myself. The Axle Stubs on an 86T 5-spd. have 26 SPLINES
              !

Comment

[quote]SKOLJACK wrote:
                Originally posted by zmech
                He needs the count off the stub axle that is in the arm.
                Allow me to redeem myself. The Axle Stubs on an 86T 5-spd. have 26 SPLINES
                Originally posted by zmech
                !

26 splines, copy that! I'm gonna pull mine out, that way I can take pictures of the Modern motorsport stubs next to the stock ones when they arive.

Comment

where exactly do they break at? i have been under a 1.8 60 foot on drag radials, and have been lucky
                  Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

Comment

I "think" they break right where the stub necks down to the splines. I've never broken one, but most axles will break at diameter changes like that.
                    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Working...
                    X