Clutch: Z32 Pressure plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch: Z32 Pressure plate?

ACT does not seem to want to make an Xtereme pressure plate for our cars. I remember a while ago Graffz told me he used a Z32 pressure plate with his 250mm flywheel. The clamping force on the Z32 pressure plate seems to be much higher, probably because they have stiffer stock pressure plate and a clutch booster equipped system. He also told me the Z32 pressure plate bolted right onto the 250mm flywheel with the same bolt pattern.

They use the same clutch discs as the 250mm Z31 (87-89T), so the clutches are really interchangable.

Using their street disc and a Z31 pressure plate gives 360lb/ft of holding capacity, while using a Z32 pressure plate ups that to 432lb/ft capacity.

About the same for the 6 puck, using the Z32 pressure plate takes it from 461lb/ft to 553lb/ft. (the 240mm for the Z31 is rated at 512lb/ft).

So, if I'm right, it would only take an additional 22% clamping force on a HD Z32 PP to make a 250mm street disc meet the holding capacity of a 6-puck. None of the disadvantages of the 6 puck, but the same holding potiential.

Ugh... So does anybody know of an inexpensive high clamp load 250mm Z31/Z32 pressure plate?

got you thinking didn't I

maybe we need to get some insider at msa to start opening and comparing, otherwise theres always a possibility I could get a z32 thing sometime from a local z shop but not soon, way too busy

Comment

Whats wrong with the 6-puck to begin with? Usually people bitch about pedal pressure which is usually related to clamping pressure. If you get a monster pressure plate for the street disc youre still going to kill your leg. Also, my guess is that the street disc is made out of a material that doesnt like heat. Even with a higher clamp load dont you think it'll get hot and slip?

Comment

Stinky wrote: Whats wrong with the 6-puck to begin with? Usually people bitch about pedal pressure which is usually related to clamping pressure. If you get a monster pressure plate for the street disc youre still going to kill your leg. Also, my guess is that the street disc is made out of a material that doesnt like heat. Even with a higher clamp load dont you think it'll get hot and slip?
        If you slip it a lot, yes it will get hot and CoF will drop, the reverse happens with the ceramic friction materials. I don't complain about the pedal pressure, it's actually pretty soft with the HD plate. Raising PP clamp load will not directly raise pedal effort because they can do some little things like change the ratio on the clutch fingers, but it will raise effort once you get to a point.

I HATE the 6 puck for its engagement, and that's all. I believe it is the reason I have been breaking so many driveline parts since I installed it, and I would like to find another affordable clutch that will hold the same torque and not have the shitty engagement. Not about to drop $1800 on a multidisc or $2600 on a carbon-carbon just so I can have the best of both worlds.

Comment

Here's a good example: RPS...

http://www.turboclutch.com/max_nissa.html

Note that the organic disc and 2700lb for the Z32 is rated at 550lb/ft

that's more than the 6 puck with HDpp from ACT, and you have the benefit of a sprung organic disc instead of a copper ceramic deal. Too bad it's only 2x as much as the ACT is.

Comment

i thought SPEC had a 6 puck sprung disc??? you cant just buy that and call it a day? or will you still need more pp even with a six puck sprung???

Comment

2+2turbo wrote: i thought SPEC had a 6 puck sprung disc??? you cant just buy that and call it a day? or will you still need more pp even with a six puck sprung???
              I think you missed my point. I DO NOT want a another copper-ceramic type puck clutch disc because of the way they engage. They shock driveline components and cause failures much sooner than most other friction compounds. I would like to get the highest holding capacity possible, with good engagement at an affordable price, the problem is the only clutches with high holding capacity that are actually affordable are the puck type. A sprung hub will help, but only so much when the material has a sky-high CoF.

I will never buy another SPEC clutch.

Comment

well i guess the only way to find out is to see if a z32 pp will really bolt up or not.

i guess the cheapest would be to find a cheap z32 used flywheel . or buy a cheap clutch at parts store of your choice , test fit and return it.

Comment

Z32 flywheel has 8 bolt holes for the DE engine's 8 flywheel bolts... we have 6.

I believe graffz when he told me a Z32 PP bolts right onto the 250MM (87-89T) flywheel, I don't see why they would change the bolt pattern for the same size flywheel and clutch disc. I have a fidanza AL flywheel, so it's tapped for both anyway.

Comment

ohh yea i wasnt implying to put it in your car , it would be for testing purposes only , and then you can use it as frisbee or a food serving plate , i helped my dad change a worn out stock clutch on his z32 when he had but that was a couple of years ago , before i ever thought of owning a z myself... so i dont remember much ..

Comment

Just a thought, but...have you investigated the Exedy clutches? From what I can tell they have a full range of options that are at prices that are better than others on the market, especially on the higher performance clutches.

I have a Stage 2 and couldnt be happier with it but I dont have the HP to really stress it. :?

Just a thought. May be worth a look.
                      Just stand back and throw money.
                      Performance costs money.
                      Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=3 ... 9&t=327599

look at that post , it has pics of a z32 pp, it really looks alot like the z31 pp!!!

Comment

OR-Zman: I checked through Exedy's lineup a while ago, they have nothing but the super expensive twin disc clutch that will hold my amount of torque, and that's only for the Z32.

http://www.coximport.com/exedy/

All this is making me think someone should put together a "master" clutch list thread people can add to like the Z31 website links thread.

hmmmmmmm....

Comment

why not ask one of the off brands like clutch specialties or whoever to make a super duper pressure plate to use with act/exedy/... organic street disc

Comment

I was talking to SBC (south bend clutch, http://www.southbendclutch.com) before I got the 6-puck. They could probably build me a unit similar to the RPS for less than the $600 pricetag.

Just to clarify: I am not "bashing" ACT or their 6-puck disc. They are a very affordable unit that offers great holding capacity and even faster shifting.

Comment

Working...
                              X