'85 NA going from Auto to Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '85 NA going from Auto to Manual

Ive decided to go with swapping out my automatic tranny with a manual one. Automatic isnt as much fun, period. Ive searched, but have not found any posts about this conversion... Can someone point me towards a post, and if there is none, give me some pointers?

Im basically looking for a complete parts list, along with a few tips/tricks...

Thanks

I believe it was Vic that posted this a long time ago on Z31.com... I see now only some wiring information, and not the entire swap FAQ he wrote.

http://z31.com/oboard/archives/view.pl?170

Anybody have a link to, ro that FAQ on hand so we can archive it?

Comment

If you need a transmission, i have a BW T5 from an 86T with only about 7,000 miles on it after a rebuild. It comes with the driveshaft as well. You'll also need the complete pedal setup including the clutch master and slave, as well as some aluminum line to go from the master to the slave. If you want to have the "dampener," you'll need that as well.
      Funny stories!

Comment

Would that BW T5 bolt right up to the VG30E from an '85NA?

EDIT:

And does that come with the clutch, flywheel, etc?

Comment

link

http://web.archive.org/web/200502260445 ... srf=faqyou
          Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
          Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

Comment

Sp4rt4n wrote: Would that BW T5 bolt right up to the VG30E from an '85NA?

EDIT:

And does that come with the clutch, flywheel, etc?
            it will bolt right up to the VG30E and it comes with the flywheel, pressure plate, and driveshaft. You'll have to find your own clutch though.
            Funny stories!

Comment

The T5 works fine on the NA. We swapped my brother's Auto>5 speed last month using a T5 and stock turbo clutch with no problems at all.

That write up is pretty good but if you're smart, you'll just pull the whole brake/clutch pedal assembly out of the donor car as one piece. Screw trying to set the spring and what not while you're under the dash. :roll:
              Originally posted by Andrew84zx
              tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
              545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Working...
              X