Stuck halfshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck halfshaft

my drivers side halfshaft is stuck inside my rear end. i know this has happened to others before. Jason, for some reason i remember this happening to you. Has anyone figured out what causes this, how to get the thing out, and how to stop it from happening again? i have an open diff so i can probably hammer it from the other side with a brass drift. im gonna try that this weekend if i have time. By the way, I've been MIA for several months due to being overworked at my underpaying job. its good to see this site has come such a long way. thanks in advance.

Prybar + a length of pipe for leverage?
    imagination is a virtue

Comment

craZed wrote: Prybar + a length of pipe for leverage?
      my halfshaft is stuck and i asked if anyone knows how to get it out. i dont need to know how it is suppose to come out as i am well aware of the common removal procedures.

Comment

if you don't need the halfshaft anymore, cut it in half?
        Funny stories!

Comment

[quote]Chris86NA2T wrote:
          Originally posted by craZed
          Prybar + a length of pipe for leverage?
          my halfshaft is stuck and i asked if anyone knows how to get it out. i dont need to know how it is suppose to come out as i am well aware of the common removal procedures.

It is suppose to come out without the extra
          leverage.
          Don't be a prick.
          imagination is a virtue

Comment

Hey chris86na2t You wanna do me a favor while you have those out? count the splines on them. I asked a while ago and knobody replied to me when I asked what the spline count was. I figured since you got'em out, ya know...
            85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Good to see you back Chris. I don't think you can hammer it from the other side with an open diff, only on the clutch LSD's...

I have one that's very stuck as well, I think it's the clips.... planning on pulling the rear cover to see what I can do about it.

Comment

I tried tapping and turning the halfshaft before and not had success, then I tried wedging a prybar and tapping that which worked

so I bet technique will be the key....

Comment

wrap a chain around the shaft and use a slide hammer.

i've used those before with success.

Comment

My drivers side axle is stuck in my VLSD and I cant get it out.

I tried the pry bar trick and nothing happened. I tried prying and rotating and prying and rotating. Again nothing.

Im about to pull the rear cover off (after i eat dinner tonight) and see if I can figure anything out.

If I can I'll post it up here. If not, driveline shop is the best bet.
                    ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

try prying it and holding pressure on it while tapping the shaft sideways back and forth, if the circlip is stuck you might need the lateral movement to catch it.... if the solid shaft part is stuck due to corrosion or whatever that's a whole other matter and like jason says it'll have to be opened and inspected

Comment

Are the VLSD halfshafts held in the same as the clsd and the open diff?
                        ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

it came out by itself...

a couple months ago i put my current rear end in my car. before installing it i clicked in the drivers side halfshaft because i was looking at something (forgot exactly what i was looking at). the thing wouldnt come out, period. i had 2 people with 4 foot bars on each side of the thing prying like hell. not a chance. i put the thing in the car with that shaft stuck in there. i really had no options. today i go to put in a set of rebuilt shafts and the thing came out with nothing more then a quick pop for a screwdriver. i was expecting an all day battle.. so if your shaft is stuck try pounding on it for a while... i guess..

Comment

hahahahaha, 4k Reverse clutch drop :mrgreen:

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

I've used various things to pull my halfshafts, but in all honesty what worked the best is one of those black nail pullers and a hammer.
                              Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
                              I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
                              Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

Working...
                              X