Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator users.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator users.

how long does your system hold fuel pressure after the 5-10 seconds that the pump runs when turning the ignition on and not starting the car? mine used to hold pressure for a long time, now it bleeds back down to 0 before i can get from the drivers seat to under the hood to read the gauge. This caused me to believe that the no-start problem i was having was a bad fuel pump and not the bad crank angle sensor that is actually causing the problem. I capped the return to the tank and clicked the fuel pump on and it held pressure just fine, so i know its not bleeding back through the fuel pump or out of a stuck injector. i pulled the regulator out and when i blow through the inlet air just barely leaks out the outlet. i took the thing apart and everything looks perfect. the valve seat is nice and clean and the diaghram is beautiful. anyone have any input, experience, educated comments or other wise? oh yea, just to confirm, the general consensus is that when you have no spark and no injector pule it is usually a bad CAS, correct? thanks

I dont run aeromotive but I do run a Magnafuel and it is pretty much brand new. after my pump turns off it will bleed back down to 0 in about 1 min or so. Dont know if that helps or not.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Mine leaks down within 5 seconds or so.. has been since i installed it 15k miles ago. as long as it holds the correct pressure while the pump is running you should be fine.

12.88 @ 114 mph.. in a 91 maxima at 14 psi

Comment

Aeromotive fuel; pressure regulator

I have a unit and it holds pressure for about 10-20 minutes. If your regulator is leaking down that fast it is not operating correctly. Call Aeromotive and ask them, they will tell you the regulator will hold pressure much longer.
        Attached Files

Comment

It should drop no more then 3 psi a minute. Thats what I've been told.
          Attached Files
          ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

z

Comment

i spoke with aeromotive about this and it isnt a problem. they dont all hold pressure after shutdown and they are not designed to do that. some will drop off quicker than others, but as long as it functions with the motor on then its fine... thanks to the people who responded who actually knew what they were talking about.

Comment

FYI TO ALL AEROMOTIVE FPR USERS:

If your regulator is not holding pressure, the diaphragm is probably leaking!!!

I had this same problem with an AEROMOTIVE FPR - it was the small adjustable one they said was designed for boosted EFI applications - it has a tiny hose barb on top of a threaded shaft, and (I believe) -6 fittings in & out. Anyway, I had the same issue - it would't hold any pressure after shutdown, and I couldn't get the car to idle worth a shit with it on, so I unplugged the vac hose from the top of the regulator, and it was actually PISSING fuel into the manifold. Unfortunately, I ruined my new piston rings (from all the washdown fuel) before I found the cause of this problem.

The regulator was only about 6 months old at the time (and I had paid ~160 for it), so I called them to complain - they said that "unfortunately this regulator was not designed for heavily oxygenated fuel, and that due to the oil companies using oxygenated fuel (i.e. "Contains Ethanol"), the ethanol ate through the diaphragm.

Of course, they would not offer any type of credit... :evil:

I still do run another aeromotive regulator, a later version, because I still think overall their quality is better than other fuel system mfrs, but all should be aware of this potential problem...

If you want to check - just pull the vacuum hose off of the top of your regulator & look for fuel (or if you don't see any, sniff for fuel vapors).
                '84 AE Z31 - last time it was dyno'd - 392RWHP, 431 Ft-Lb RWTQ.

For this year - building a VG33, bigger turbo (GT35R BB), just got done with making my own custom roll cage, all of the bodywork and a new paint job!

Want more details? Check out my profile on vg30et.com!

Comment

turbomike -- so are they making new ones that will work with ethanol? I don't want to buy an old one off of ebay if it is going to do that.
                  Daily:
                  09 2.5SL Altima Grey
                  08 4.0SE Pathfinder 4x4 Grey
                  11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
                  Z31s:
                  88t Grey
                  86t Pewter

Comment

RE: Regulators

I had this problem close to 2 years ago now, so I really doubt that any new units sold would still have this defect now, but you may want to ask the seller for the exact Aeromotive part number and double check with them that all is Ok.

When I called them to complain, they did say that the problem was due to the material they used in their older diaphragms, and had been corrected with the newer models, so in general, if the item is a new part purchased now, you should be OK, but to be cautious, you could check with Aeromotive anyway.

I meant this more as a caution for the people on the boards who are seeing pressure drop with existing units, rather than people who are buying new ones - as I mentioned, I'm still running a different model of their regulator without any problems.
                    '84 AE Z31 - last time it was dyno'd - 392RWHP, 431 Ft-Lb RWTQ.

For this year - building a VG33, bigger turbo (GT35R BB), just got done with making my own custom roll cage, all of the bodywork and a new paint job!

Want more details? Check out my profile on vg30et.com!

Comment

mine holds pressure for 10 mins or so after the pump stops. Aeromotive 13107? i think it is
                      Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

Comment

Working...
                      X