L28ET running pig rich in cold temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L28ET running pig rich in cold temps

I've been driving my Z to and around campus and it has somehow managed to drink over a half tank of gas...in one day.

I didn't pay attention to actual mileage figures, but as I was driving down the freeway I could see a difference in the position of the needle every couple of minutes. I don't expect it to be a fuel sipper, but this is nuts!

In warm weather it runs normally, but lately it has had trouble starting and warming up. The temp gauge runs at about 1/4 of the way on the freeway and 1/3 in the city, well below normal. Scale is from 120-250 degrees farenheit.

The engine seems to be getting too much cold air blowing through the radiator and is not reaching operating temps thereby keeping it in rich warmup mode.

Is it possible that the wrong thermostat was installed or that it's malfunctioning? Surely this can't be normal. Also, I installed an electric fan, but that should only help it...why won't it warm up?
    1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
    '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
    "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

who did the T-stat? YOU? It could be stuck open or if you didnt do it maybe there isnt one in there at all!
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I never really checked, to be honest. The motor was pulled in the junkyard from a folded-up 1981 280ZXT with 70k on the clock. It seems odd that the PO would have tampered with that at a reletively low mileage. The motor was otherwise stock.
      1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
      '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues

Comment

Dude, the 9 dollar thermostat sounds like the culprit.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

You guys were right. The thermostat was stuck open. I'm not suprised seeing as how this was a long-time junkyard motor with plenty of rust buildup.

This is the second year that I've run with that motor, so I'm suprised this issue never surfaced before, although I never really drove it in cold temps too much either. This could have been screwing with my ECCS for a long time for all I know.
          1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo

Comment

Working...
          X